Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 19, 2017

Hello everyone

Smartling now has a two-column interface which replaces their old per-segment interface. In this new interface, the tags appear within text fields as rich text formatted tags. This is supposedly better, but: there seems to be no method of copying tags. One can copy all tags at once (this removes the current text) or one can copy the source to the target (which will include the tags), but one can't copy individual tags into the target field.

If I try to
... See more
Hello everyone

Smartling now has a two-column interface which replaces their old per-segment interface. In this new interface, the tags appear within text fields as rich text formatted tags. This is supposedly better, but: there seems to be no method of copying tags. One can copy all tags at once (this removes the current text) or one can copy the source to the target (which will include the tags), but one can't copy individual tags into the target field.

If I try to copy/paste tags from the source field into the target field, my browser pastes plain text (and no, Smartling does not convert the plain text to tags).

Do you know of a browser or method that will allow me to paste rich text instead of plain text into the target text field? In other words, if I select a tag (or tag pair, including text) in the source field, and copy it, I want to paste the tags as tags that Smartling recognises as tags.

I've tried Opera Blink and Vivaldi so far but I'm not very paste savvy.

Thanks
Samuel

PS. Copying the rich text to the clipboard is not a problem, but even if I have rich text on the clipboard, when I paste into the target field in Smartling, it pastes plain text, not rich text.
Collapse

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
Local time: 21:33
English to German
Click on tag? Apr 19, 2017

What I have been doing so far is simply clicking on the tag in the source segment. I use Firefox and tags are displayed as little grey icons...

If the tag is part of a tag pair (e.g. < strong> < /strong>), Smartling will copy the entire tag pair. When you highlight part (or all) of the target segment, Smartling will place the start and end tag around the highlighted text.

Hope that works OK for you!

[Edited at 2017-04-19 22:09 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pasting rich text into the new Smartling

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »