https://www.proz.com/forum/literature_poetry/127205-translating_fiction_literature_comics-page2.html

Strani v okviru teme:   < [1 2]
Translating fiction : literature, comics.
Sledi avtorju: OffMag
krizck
krizck
Mehika
Local time: 14:13
angleščina - španščina
Creativity goes beyond Mar 6, 2009

You are right. Translators who do not limit themselves to translating something deserve a different rate. If you have to use your imagination in order to communicate something, you are basically doing something that not all translators usually do! (depending on the text they translate) Just think about it! Without all those people who had to adapt characters and names, many would not be famous nor successful.

Geraldine Oudin
Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
Združeno kraljestvo
japonščina - francoščina
+ ...
Manga Mar 20, 2009

NathalieSchon wrote:

A Japanese friend of mine translates mangas into French.
He says he always works with a French partner and that you have to cut loose of the original text.

I was a bit afraid when I read the first part of the sentence because I have seen quite a few horrible JP>FR translations by Japanese translators who don't bother to take a French partner.
I do JP>FR manga translation myself, on my own, and I find it very challenging and fulfilling. I don't feel like I need to cut loose of the original text that much, even though some onomatopeas are a bit hard to translate, but I already opened a thread about this.

OffMag
OffMag  Identity Verified
Francija
Local time: 22:13
nemščina - francoščina
+ ...
S TEMO ZAČEL
The site has moved Nov 3, 2009

Update: new address of the link mentioned above:

http://www.leblogdelamirabelle.net/my-translators-blog/translation-of-popular-fiction/

Laura Arias
Laura Arias
Španija
Local time: 22:13
angleščina - španščina
+ ...
Asterix Nov 3, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

My all-time favorite: Asterix

I absolutely agree with you...
I think that the translators in any country had to take the best from their brains to make it an entertaining and amusing product as well.

Don't you agree with the poor interpreter along the story? =D

I worked two years as a manga/Japanese comic translator, it was such a satisfaying experience.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
Združene države
Local time: 16:13
španščina - angleščina
+ ...
The Asterix Articles Nov 3, 2009

or How Asterix crossed the channel and was published in English.

http://www.asterix.co.nz/review/englishpublishing/index.html

[Edited at 2009-11-03 14:52 GMT]

Strani v okviru teme:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating fiction : literature, comics.

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »