question about transcription
Thread poster: Si Skool
Si Skool
Si Skool
English to Thai
+ ...
Apr 1, 2017

Hi,

I have been assigned to transcribe a film but in the film there are a lot of non-linguistic noise (like coughing, wheezing, whistling) Do I need to transcribe those or I can simply just omit and transcribe only spoken words?
Also should I transcribe english texts that appear on screen or just omit them? (eg. names of people in documentary)

If I understand it right in subtitling, those non-linguistic noise should be omit unless it is a closed captioning. But I'
... See more
Hi,

I have been assigned to transcribe a film but in the film there are a lot of non-linguistic noise (like coughing, wheezing, whistling) Do I need to transcribe those or I can simply just omit and transcribe only spoken words?
Also should I transcribe english texts that appear on screen or just omit them? (eg. names of people in documentary)

If I understand it right in subtitling, those non-linguistic noise should be omit unless it is a closed captioning. But I'm not sure about transcribing ?

Thank you in advance!

[Edited at 2017-04-01 23:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-02 02:49 GMT]
Collapse

Tony Bennjamin
Tony Bennjamin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:54
Member (2013)
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Movie Transcription Apr 2, 2017

sskool wrote:

Hi,

If I understand it right in subtitling, those non-linguistic noise should be omit unless it is a closed captioning. But I'm not sure about transcribing ?

Thank you in advance!

[Edited at 2017-04-01 23:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-02 02:49 GMT]

Hi, for movie transcription, it's better for you to contact with your employer. Some movie agent omit them, and some are required them to be transcribed.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:54
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends on your client Apr 2, 2017

Yes, check with your client to see what she/he wants before you do "unnecessary" work. Some clients want these "noises" omitted, other want them in the transcript (and translated).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

question about transcription

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »