Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Where is professional translation going when you read job offers like this one?
Thread poster: milena ferrante
Pierre Bancov
Pierre Bancov  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:28
Member (2008)
Japanese to French
+ ...
Can we afford a sort of hard barrier of entry though? Jun 19, 2018

I've been on these forums for years but it's always the same problem.
I've taken the time to turn down some people in the past but I still get thousands of emails per year asking for cheap jobs.
The larger question is, should we have a hidden barrier? Like you're an agency, you post a job offer and the system simply ditches it if it doesn't fit minimum requirements, banning your account after a certain number of rejected posts. That's the only thing that would reduce the amount of e-
... See more
I've been on these forums for years but it's always the same problem.
I've taken the time to turn down some people in the past but I still get thousands of emails per year asking for cheap jobs.
The larger question is, should we have a hidden barrier? Like you're an agency, you post a job offer and the system simply ditches it if it doesn't fit minimum requirements, banning your account after a certain number of rejected posts. That's the only thing that would reduce the amount of e-mails I get every day.

As long as we'll get those annoying "work for cheap or else" offers, I guess we'll have to simply ignore them.
But it is disheartening to have to endure them day in and day out.
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Here Jun 19, 2018

milena ferrante wrote:

Towards a free market where decent goods and services can be produced at very low prices by underpaid individuals, more or less like the very same device at least 90% of us is using right now to read this thread.

We will all be poor. Run!

Michele Fauble

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:28
Member (2004)
English to Italian
There is another way... Jun 19, 2018

Pierre Bancov wrote:
That's the only thing that would reduce the amount of e-mails I get every day.

You could turn off the option to receive job notifications...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
set a limit Jun 19, 2018

Pierre Bancov wrote:

..... I still get thousands of emails per year asking for cheap jobs...

I don't get very many at all. Maybe 10 per year. So this puzzles me. Is there something in the labyrinth of settings ("job notification settings" maybe?) where I had previously set some kind of limit on the rates I was prepared to accept?

milena ferrante
milena ferrante  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rates need to consider taxes Jun 19, 2018

The problem in Italy are really high taxes. I should live in India, I know...but I love my country. So maybe I will be poorer but happier...

However, I am not discussing rates.

I am discussing the fact that a serious platform should not allow posts like those: be perfect for very little money. If you pay little money, as you said, you might be allowed NOT to be perfect.

There are plenty of other sites for those posts.

Mirko Mainardi
Annamaria Sondrio

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Maria da Glória Teixeira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:28
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
work with low value Jun 19, 2018

This should not happen, many desperate translators take the work with low value, it only depreciates our work. His we must demand it of ProZ.

[Editada em 2018-06-19 21:03 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »