Poll: How do you typically celebrate International Translation Day?
Sledi avtorju: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
OSEBJE SPLETIŠČA
08:10

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you typically celebrate International Translation Day?".

View the poll results »



 
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise  Identity Verified
Belgija
Local time: 01:06
Član (2020)
francoščina - nizozemščina, flamščina
+ ...
I don't 08:48

I've always been a fulltime translator in the true sense of the word. Fulltime = fulltime, meaning working from morning until (often late in) the evening. Every single working day for the past 21 years. Slow periods are rare, in total perhaps 2-3 weeks per year, so in the rare event that I'm having some spare time the last thing I'm going to do is watch or attend seminars or whatever. I'm either working or doing something completely different from translation.

Claudio Machado Junior
expressisverbis
 
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugalska
Local time: 00:06
Član (2007)
angleščina - portugalščina
+ ...
Business as usual... 09:05

With a little thought for all my peers who might be doing the same thing!

expressisverbis
Claudio Machado Junior
Thayenga
Maria Laura Curzi
 
Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Nemčija
Local time: 01:06
angleščina - nemščina
+ ...
I don't 09:06

It's all just business as usual for me.
I do observe actual public holidays in my region, but International Translation Day in particular is just a sad joke nowadays, anyway. It's the day when big LSPs wax poetic about the craft and art of human translation on sites liked LinkedIn, only to return to their usual lying, gaslighting and price-gouging ways a day later.


expressisverbis
Claudio Machado Junior
Thayenga
Maria Laura Curzi
SandraV
 
Gregor Trebec
Gregor Trebec
Slovenija
Local time: 01:06
angleščina - slovenščina
+ ...
Well.. 11:19

I fire the firework. :>

 
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugalska
Local time: 00:06
angleščina - portugalščina
+ ...
Every day 11:54

More than ever, International Translation Day should remind us that translators deserve to be valued and celebrated every day, not just on 30 September.
And I do it every day.


Claudio Machado Junior
 
Claudio Machado Junior
Claudio Machado Junior  Identity Verified
Brazilija
Local time: 20:06
Član (2014)
angleščina - portugalščina
+ ...
I don't wanna sound bitter, but... 12:05

Taking a day off to "celebrate"?! You're kidding, right? Right?

Maria Laura Curzi
SandraV
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
Harishankar Shahi
Harishankar Shahi  Identity Verified
Indija
Član (2014)
angleščina - hindijščina
+ ...
What to celebrate? 13:25

Translation Industry is sinking. Companies and Translation agencies prefer AI whether output good or bad, rates are even below than absurd thresold. So, there is nothing to celebrate or taking part in any Proz event to listen non-realistic speeches.

Maria Laura Curzi
SandraV
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
writeaway
 
WolfgangS
WolfgangS
Francija
Local time: 01:06
angleščina - nemščina
+ ...
Huh? 16:27

Ditto

 
Well… 17:03

I used to throw a massive party on our yacht with free champagne and fireworks and the most exquisite canapés served on silver platters by naked dwarves, but I must confess it completely slipped my mind this year.

Could be because I was last offered translation work in April, despite not yet having told any of my clients I’ve retired.

The good news is that I’m much happier back in my natural role as an international gigolo.


Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:06
francoščina - angleščina
Good job too 17:15

The Shredder wrote:

I used to throw a massive party on our yacht with free champagne and fireworks and the most exquisite canapés served on silver platters by naked dwarves,


Yeah, look, none of us ever said anything because we're all too polite, but it doesn't half hurt your back constantly bending down to snaffle a vol-au-vent when the serving tray is only 2 foot off the ground.


The Shredder
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
writeaway
 
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Nemčija
nizozemščina, flamščina - nemščina
+ ...
It's not me... 17:23

...who celebrated that day but our tax authorities with invoicing me yesterday their final account for tax year 2025 with (still) a four digit number, mostly due to translation work done last year on top of my regular work as a service technician...

expressisverbis
 
Caligulatastic 18:55

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Yeah, look, none of us ever said anything because we're all too polite, but it doesn't half hurt your back constantly bending down to snaffle a vol-au-vent when the serving tray is only 2 foot off the ground.


User error. You should’ve reclined like a Roman emperor.

On which note, I razz around Aberaeron now with a punnet of grapes on the dash, feeding myself louchely and reminiscing about the good ol’ days and generally working on building a bad reputation.


expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
 
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugalska
Local time: 00:06
angleščina - portugalščina
+ ...
"Quo vadimus, Domine?" 22:50

I celebrated with a party, and AI invited itself along. St Jerome was there too. It was his day!
AI translated the menu, hallucinated the wine list, mistranslated the canapés, and then asked whether the naked dwarves were there for post-editing or proofreading.
Five minutes later, it had assessed their skills, assigned them a data-collection project and offered them a long-term contract at a suitably scaled rate. Apparently, they were perfectly qualified for fieldwork.
St Jero
... See more
I celebrated with a party, and AI invited itself along. St Jerome was there too. It was his day!
AI translated the menu, hallucinated the wine list, mistranslated the canapés, and then asked whether the naked dwarves were there for post-editing or proofreading.
Five minutes later, it had assessed their skills, assigned them a data-collection project and offered them a long-term contract at a suitably scaled rate. Apparently, they were perfectly qualified for fieldwork.
St Jerome took one look at the naked dwarves, one look at AI, sighed deeply and asked, “Quo vadimus, Domine?”
Then he picked up his Bible and said, “I’ve seen Hell. This is worse.”

Thank you, Charlie and Chris, for making me laugh so much. I clearly needed this. 😂
▲ Collapse


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(ji) za ta forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you typically celebrate International Translation Day?






LinguaCore
AI Translation at Your Fingertips

The underlying LLM technology of LinguaCore offers AI translations of unprecedented quality. Quick and simple. Add a human linguistic review at the end for expert-level quality at a fraction of the cost and time.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »