What savings can be made by buying into a TMS service?
Autor wątku: rmackay
rmackay
rmackay
Local time: 16:18
May 21, 2010

Hi there

This may be a difficult question to answer but I was hoping that you could help me out

Basically, I work for an organisation that is hoping to offer a service to translators/translation companies, using an off the shelf CAT tool. This may seem rather bizarre but the intention is that we can offer the complete package - training, support ( in our language - Scottish Gaelic), server space - etc plu
... See more
Hi there

This may be a difficult question to answer but I was hoping that you could help me out

Basically, I work for an organisation that is hoping to offer a service to translators/translation companies, using an off the shelf CAT tool. This may seem rather bizarre but the intention is that we can offer the complete package - training, support ( in our language - Scottish Gaelic), server space - etc plus licence bundles, plus some shared TM's and TB's etc.

I am trying to find out what savings can be made, for a translation company, from accessing the software as a service, rather than having to buy in the necessary hardware, on top of the actual software package - This may be mainly relevant to those of you who have bought it in to your translation company.

What are the potential cost implications involved in this, if you need to purchase appropriate hardware - upgraded computers/servers infrastructure etc to go along with software?

Are there are continual ongoing costs associated with this hardware purchase? - separate technical help

Is this potentially more expensive, compared to buying into software as a service where everything is provided?

If you had any thoughts, that would be much appreciated

Regards - Ruairidh
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czechy
Local time: 17:18
angielski > czeski
+ ...
Just briefly May 28, 2010

I am trying to find out what savings can be made, for a translation company, from accessing the software as a service, rather than having to buy in the necessary hardware, on top of the actual software package - This may be mainly relevant to those of you who have bought it in to your translation company.

Hi Ruairidh,
from my personal point of view, hardware costs are nowadays not a problem. If you invest several (tens of) thousands of Euros into a TMS solution, another 2,000 Euros investment into a powerful server (including daily HDD mirroring etc.) won't hurt.

I don't think that hosting a TM server will bring you much, unless you provide an interface for the most widely used CAT tools.

Complete desktop hosting (including MS Office and other common applications and suites) may have some potential though.

[Upraveno: 2010-05-28 13:02 GMT]

rmackay
rmackay
Local time: 16:18
NOWY TEMAT
Thank you :) Jun 4, 2010

Many thanks Stanislav for your comments.

I agree with what you are saying about the cost of hardware being relatively insignificant compared to the cost of the TMS software - on the other hand, it is our hope that we will be able to produce a package that will be of instant benefit to the translators, and therefore remove the need for them to have to develop this service in-house themselves, by upgrading hardware, going through tender processes etc for software, possibly hiring of I
... See more
Many thanks Stanislav for your comments.

I agree with what you are saying about the cost of hardware being relatively insignificant compared to the cost of the TMS software - on the other hand, it is our hope that we will be able to produce a package that will be of instant benefit to the translators, and therefore remove the need for them to have to develop this service in-house themselves, by upgrading hardware, going through tender processes etc for software, possibly hiring of IT technician to assist and maintain the server/contents etc.

This is very much a 'toe in the water' type venture but it is one that we hope will be of interest to the translators currently working between Gaelic and English.

Thanks again - Ruairidh

PS - sorry I took so long in replying!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What savings can be made by buying into a TMS service?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »