Meet disfr-mod XLIFF viewer, a modification of disfr with the ability to save settings
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 2, 2023

Recently, I've been using the disfr XLIFF viewer quite a lot to view reference files. My only problem with it was that it didn't save its settings, forcing me to reconfigure them each time I opened the application and then for each individual file tab. I couldn't reach the author, Alissa Sabre, so I hired a developer to fix what I thought was a bug. In reality, it turned out to be a missing feature. The result of that work, called disfr-mod, is free for you to download, use, and even modify unde... See more
Recently, I've been using the disfr XLIFF viewer quite a lot to view reference files. My only problem with it was that it didn't save its settings, forcing me to reconfigure them each time I opened the application and then for each individual file tab. I couldn't reach the author, Alissa Sabre, so I hired a developer to fix what I thought was a bug. In reality, it turned out to be a missing feature. The result of that work, called disfr-mod, is free for you to download, use, and even modify under a BSD license (see the LICENSE file). The settings are implemented as global, which may not suit everybody but is perfect for my use case. Make sure to read README_disfr-mod and the original README file.

Download the Windows installer and sources here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FkfM7ctLH0gd2vycPZy4bB4-diAbGtBT?usp=sharing
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Grigori Gazarian
Mario Cerutti

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:40
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Very useful! Mar 3, 2023

Many thanks for this very useful piece of software!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The installer is... Mar 3, 2023

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
Download the Windows installer and sources here...

For those of you who don't know: the installer is the MSI file -- it's the only file you need to run the program.

Jorge Payan

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:40
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Opens files in one-tenth of the time taken by Studio Mar 4, 2023

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
Download the Windows installer and sources here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FkfM7ctLH0gd2vycPZy4bB4-diAbGtBT?usp=sharing

This seems to work well for those times when you want to quickly view a file, but you don't want to wait for Studio to wake up, stretch, scratch its backside, then amble to work at its usual leisurely pace.

As I wrote this, I timed the two pieces using the stopwatch on my phone. The PC has an Intel Core i3 6100 @3.7GHz - a very long way from cutting-edge hardware, but fine for general use - and a pair of good SSDs.

SDL Studio 2019: 31 seconds to open, plus over 10 seconds to open the file itself and becoming able to work on it.

disfr-mod: 4 seconds from right-clicking on sdlxliff file and selecting "Open with disfr" to being able to work on the file.

That's a really worthwhile difference.

Thanks to both yourself and the original developer.

Dan
PS Memsource/Phrase Desktop Editor opens the file on which I am currently working in 4-5 seconds

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meet disfr-mod XLIFF viewer, a modification of disfr with the ability to save settings

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »