Newbie - What qualifications for translator/interpreter
Thread poster: jamphi24
jamphi24
jamphi24
Local time: 07:47
May 10, 2012

Hi
Looking for a little advice. My girlfriend is Brazilian and fluent in Portuguese and English. She is planning on moving with me to the UK and has an interest in becoming a translator/interpreter. She does a lot of work in Brazil at conferences etc, mainly due to her language abilities for translating.

The problem is she has no qualifications, she completed high school in Brazil but had to pull out of Uni due to family reasons.

Can I please ask advice for what q
... See more
Hi
Looking for a little advice. My girlfriend is Brazilian and fluent in Portuguese and English. She is planning on moving with me to the UK and has an interest in becoming a translator/interpreter. She does a lot of work in Brazil at conferences etc, mainly due to her language abilities for translating.

The problem is she has no qualifications, she completed high school in Brazil but had to pull out of Uni due to family reasons.

Can I please ask advice for what qualifications she should do (if any?).

I have seen the Met Police Exam, DIPTRANS & DPSI. The latter two seem to be postgrad courses, is that true or can she do them without a degree?

I have also heard people mention the Translation MA, but as she has no degree I presume she needs to do another degree first? If so what would be recommended?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie - What qualifications for translator/interpreter

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »