Oleksandra Radkova (X)
Oleksandra Radkova (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 15, 2014

Hello,

I have a very specific question, not sure if I'm postin gin the right thread though.

I have studied English at university and my first languages are Russian and Ukrainian.
But my degree isn't per se a translator's degree. So I was looking to find some university/college course here in the Netherlands where I currently live that'd allow me to get an official translatior's certificate (in the abovementioned languages: English to Russian and Ukrainian. I'm wo
... See more
Hello,

I have a very specific question, not sure if I'm postin gin the right thread though.

I have studied English at university and my first languages are Russian and Ukrainian.
But my degree isn't per se a translator's degree. So I was looking to find some university/college course here in the Netherlands where I currently live that'd allow me to get an official translatior's certificate (in the abovementioned languages: English to Russian and Ukrainian. I'm working on my Dutch, however, not so good at it yet).

If someone has good recommendations, I'd be really grateful.
Collapse

Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.
Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Italian
+ ...
Bureau beëdigde tolken en vertalers - Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators & Alternative Oct 15, 2014

Interesting related info:

Bureau beëdigde tolken en vertalers (Bureau btv)

Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators & Alternative List
On 1 January 2009 the Sworn Interpreters and Translators Act entered into force. One of the consequences of that entry into force is the introduction of the Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators and the Alternative List.
A description of the Register and the Alternative List can be found on this page.
http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/register_help/

What is the Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators (the “Register”)?
The Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators is a register in which interpreters and translators are registered who are authorised to work as sworn interpreters and/or sworn translators in the Netherlands.
Since 1 January 2009, certain customers in the field of justice are obligated in the context of criminal and aliens law, in principle, to use an interpreter or translator who is registered in the Register. Sworn translations may even be made only by translators in the Register.
The interpreters and translators in the Register have proven that they have the competences required in Article 3 of the Sworn Interpreters and Translators Act.
A registration in the Register is valid for a period of five years and may then be renewed on certain conditions. For instance, during that five-year period a number of educational points must have been obtained in the context of permanent education. The interpreter/translator in question must furthermore have performed a minimum number of professional interpretation/translation assignments. If the registration is renewed, a new certificate of good conduct must furthermore be submitted.
The customer can therefore base certain guarantees regarding quality and integrity on a registration in the Register.
As soon as an interpreter/translator is registered in the Register, customers can find his or her details by consulting the Register, elsewhere on this website.
http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/register_help/what_is_the_register.cfm

What is the Alternative List?
Customers in the field of justice are obligated under the Sworn Interpreters and Translators Act to use sworn interpreters and translators. If no interpreter or translator in the Register is available, they may consult a different source, such as the Alternative List. That list includes interpreters and translators who do not meet the requirements that apply to the Register, but do meet the more lenient requirements for inclusion on the Alternative List.
The persons included on the Alternative List have in any event submitted a certificate of good conduct issued in accordance with a strict screening profile developed specifically for registration in the Register. If customers to whom the obligation in Article 28 of the Act applies use an interpreter or translator from the Alternative List, they need not apply for a certificate of good conduct prior to or, in urgent situations, after the assignment. A certificate of good conduct applied for by means of a different approach has a less stringent screening profile and is not specifically intended for registration in the Register.
The obligation in Article 28 of the Act does not apply to the Decree on the Alternative List under the Sworn Interpreters and Translators Act. The information in the Alternative List is public and interested parties can therefore also consult that information. As in the Register, interpreters and translators can have sensitive information screened off.
http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/register_help/what_is_the_alternative_list.cfm

Policy - Decree on Registration in the Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators
http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/pdf/Decree%20on%20Registration%20in%20the%20Register%20of%20Sworn%20Interpreters%20and%20Translators.pdf

Registration procedure
On this page you will find a description of both the normal registration procedure and the procedure for filing a request for additional registration. You can also consult a schematic representation of the two procedures, stating the requirements and terms. The registration conditions that apply to registration in the Register and inclusion on the Alternative List are also addressed here.
- Registration procedure
- Procedure for additional registration
- Registration procedure diagram
- Conditions for registration in the Register
- Conditions for inclusion on the Alternative List
http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/registration/

Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.
Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Italian
+ ...
Bureau beëdigde tolken en vertalers - Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators & Alternative Oct 15, 2014

Interesting related info:

Bureau beëdigde tolken en vertalers (Bureau btv)

Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators & Alternative List
On 1 January 2009 the Sworn Interpreters and Translators Act entered into force. One of the consequences of that entry into force is the introduction of the Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators and the Alternative List.
A description of the Register and the Alternative List can be found on this page.
http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/register_help/

What is the Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators (the “Register”)?
The Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators is a register in which interpreters and translators are registered who are authorised to work as sworn interpreters and/or sworn translators in the Netherlands.
Since 1 January 2009, certain customers in the field of justice are obligated in the context of criminal and aliens law, in principle, to use an interpreter or translator who is registered in the Register. Sworn translations may even be made only by translators in the Register.
The interpreters and translators in the Register have proven that they have the competences required in Article 3 of the Sworn Interpreters and Translators Act.
A registration in the Register is valid for a period of five years and may then be renewed on certain conditions. For instance, during that five-year period a number of educational points must have been obtained in the context of permanent education. The interpreter/translator in question must furthermore have performed a minimum number of professional interpretation/translation assignments. If the registration is renewed, a new certificate of good conduct must furthermore be submitted.
The customer can therefore base certain guarantees regarding quality and integrity on a registration in the Register.
As soon as an interpreter/translator is registered in the Register, customers can find his or her details by consulting the Register, elsewhere on this website.
http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/register_help/what_is_the_register.cfm

What is the Alternative List?
Customers in the field of justice are obligated under the Sworn Interpreters and Translators Act to use sworn interpreters and translators. If no interpreter or translator in the Register is available, they may consult a different source, such as the Alternative List. That list includes interpreters and translators who do not meet the requirements that apply to the Register, but do meet the more lenient requirements for inclusion on the Alternative List.
The persons included on the Alternative List have in any event submitted a certificate of good conduct issued in accordance with a strict screening profile developed specifically for registration in the Register. If customers to whom the obligation in Article 28 of the Act applies use an interpreter or translator from the Alternative List, they need not apply for a certificate of good conduct prior to or, in urgent situations, after the assignment. A certificate of good conduct applied for by means of a different approach has a less stringent screening profile and is not specifically intended for registration in the Register.
The obligation in Article 28 of the Act does not apply to the Decree on the Alternative List under the Sworn Interpreters and Translators Act. The information in the Alternative List is public and interested parties can therefore also consult that information. As in the Register, interpreters and translators can have sensitive information screened off.
http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/register_help/what_is_the_alternative_list.cfm

Policy - Decree on Registration in the Register of Sworn Interpreters and Translators
http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/pdf/Decree%20on%20Registration%20in%20the%20Register%20of%20Sworn%20Interpreters%20and%20Translators.pdf

Registration procedure
On this page you will find a description of both the normal registration procedure and the procedure for filing a request for additional registration. You can also consult a schematic representation of the two procedures, stating the requirements and terms. The registration conditions that apply to registration in the Register and inclusion on the Alternative List are also addressed here.
- Registration procedure
- Procedure for additional registration
- Registration procedure diagram
- Conditions for registration in the Register
- Conditions for inclusion on the Alternative List
http://www.bureaubtv.nl/en/registration/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting certified in the Netherlands

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »