Localization using "EDB" files?
Thread poster: tee_jay
tee_jay
tee_jay
Local time: 20:08
English
Apr 10, 2006

Hi,
I've been asked by the client to provide localization support to an application strictly using EDB files.
But as of now, being a complete newcomer to this "Localization" thing, i don't know how to use EDB files for the purpose?

How is this achieved? Any tools to be used?
Please help.. deadline is near..
Any pointers/references/examples would be helpful..

Thanks in advance.

Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Use LocStudio Apr 10, 2006

tee_jay wrote:

Hi,
I've been asked by the client to provide localization support to an application strictly using EDB files.
But as of now, being a complete newcomer to this "Localization" thing, i don't know how to use EDB files for the purpose?

Thanks in advance.

.edb files are opened with Microsoft Localization Studio (LocStudio) - it's a proprietary tool used for localization of Microsoft's software projects.

Maybe your client proposes to use the edb files for reference.
Ask your client to export the edbs as csv (comma-separated value) files which can be imported into MS Excel and some other programs.

tee_jay
tee_jay
English
TOPIC STARTER
How to use edb file to make a build in a particular language? Apr 10, 2006

Thanks for replying ivaylo.

We've posted a query to client bout this.. but a reply is still awaited.

So as you said, edb files are opened using LocStudio. And i guess we'll be getting those files from client so that we can localize the product, rite?

Now some queries:
1) Can we even make edb files in LocStudio?
2) If we donot have LocStudio, then how do achieve localization? (using CSV files, as you said?)
3) And finally, how do we make a
... See more
Thanks for replying ivaylo.

We've posted a query to client bout this.. but a reply is still awaited.

So as you said, edb files are opened using LocStudio. And i guess we'll be getting those files from client so that we can localize the product, rite?

Now some queries:
2) If we donot have LocStudio, then how do achieve localization? (using CSV files, as you said?)
3) And finally, how do we make a build in a particular language (i.e. with a particular edb file) ?

Please do reply...

Thanks.

[Edited at 2006-04-10 14:27]
Collapse

Damir Pavuna
Damir Pavuna  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:38
English to Croatian
+ ...
If your client doesn't pay at least 0,10 EUR per word.... Apr 10, 2006

tee_jay wrote:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Damir Pavuna
Damir Pavuna  Identity Verified
English to Croatian
+ ...
here comes the rest of the message:) Apr 10, 2006

don't take the job. Even in Loc Studio, the localisation process/translation is very slow.

tee_jay
tee_jay
English
TOPIC STARTER
Its not bout whether to take the job or not! I jus wanna know how to use EDBs for "Localalization"! Apr 10, 2006

integra wrote:

don't take the job. Even in Loc Studio, the localisation process/translation is very slow.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some comments to your questions Apr 11, 2006

tee_jay wrote:

You can do localisation in many different types of files. The question is what types of localisation files you are given by the programmers. You can't localise a product unless you know how to extract and re-insert the strings, or unless a programmer does the extracting and inserting for you.

3) And finally, how do we make a build in a particular language (i.e. with a particular edb file) ?

Here's a thought... why don't you tell us what program it is that you're trying to localise, and perhaps we can tell you which localisation format is best suited, yes?

tee_jay
tee_jay
English
TOPIC STARTER
Some basic queries? Apr 11, 2006

You can't localise a product unless you know how to extract and re-insert the strings, or unless a programmer does the extracting and inserting for you.

I myself is d coder and have been asked to do localization using only EDB files.

Here's a thought... why don't you tell us what program it is that you're trying to localise, and perhaps we can tell you which localisation format is best suited, yes?

We've written a "Protocol Handler" for Microsoft's Windows Desktop Search and now that product is to be shipped to some major markets, we need to localize it.
A protocol handler is a kinda Addin to the Desktop Search product.

So now can I please expect some kind guidance from experts like you?

Or if you can jus reslove my following queries in one liners:
1) What does an EDB file contain? (I guess actual "Localized Strings").
2) Will we be getting those EDB files from the client or can we also make those?
3) Once we have those EDB files how do we use them to localize the product? (do we jus make a build using them?)

May be i put some awkward questions, but please forgive me for taking your time.

Awaiting a positive reply. Thanks..

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
LocStudio is used by Microsoft only, AFAIK Apr 11, 2006

tee_jay wrote:
I myself is the coder and have been asked to do localization using only EDB files.

AFAIK, only the Microsoft company or their agents ever use LocStudio. The fact that your product works on MS Windows, does not necessarily qualify it for LocStudio.

Whether you can create EDB files using LocStudio, I don't know. I have only received the EDB files from the client, and the client is Microsoft itself, so perhaps they have a program with which they generate EDB files... a program which is not available for us?

We've written a "Protocol Handler" for Microsoft's Windows Desktop Search and now that product is to be shipped to some major markets, we need to localize it.

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how it works, but don't you have a way to extract the text strings into, say, CSV or some plaintext LNG file? Then the translator translates it, and you import it back into your program?

Your only problem then would be that you'd have to require that the translators be aware of the terminology used in the Desktop Search itself.

I apologise for being unable to answer your questions. Perhaps you should look for a localisation forum on the web to help you out with those questions.

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some more info... Apr 12, 2006

Hi,

Just some more info to add to what Samuel has already mentioned.

tee_jay wrote:

I myself is d coder and have been asked to do localization using only EDB files.

Samuel is right. LocStudio is, as far as I know meant only to be used in the localisation of Microsoft projects by Microsoft themselves or providers working for Microsoft (for instance, translation companies working in a localisation project for Microsoft).

If your customer is not Microsoft, you may want to ask your customers if they have authorisation from Microsoft to use LocStudio.

This as far as I know. The situation may have changed but I have searched in the Microsoft website and there is no reference to LocStudio being made available to the public.

Regarding your queries:

Yes. LocStudio works like other localisation tool. You take your software file (DLL, EXE, RC, etc.) and import it in LocStudio. It then creates an EDB file, which is a kind of database which contains the resources that translators will have to localise. To achieve this, LocStudio has parsers for different types of files. These parsers are also developed by Microsoft.

It depends a lot of what development environment you have used. For instance, many localisation tools can import RC files or binary files (DLLs or EXEs) created VisualStudio.

I have not been in the software localisation business for three years (which probably is too long) and probably other people here can provide you with more information. Two commercial tools I know are Alchemy Catalyst and Passolo.

www.alchemysoftware.ie
www.passolo.com

There are many more though.

Alternatively, if your application does not have many dialog boxes to be resized and translators only have translate texts, it might be enough to export the strings to a text file.

With LocStudio, you open the EDB file, translate it, and use the "Generate" command. This produces a localised binary file. Catalyst and Passolo work in the same way but they don't use EDBs, they use their own file formats.

Be aware thought, the "translate it" I mentioned might involve much more than translating the text. It will probably involve resizing dialog boxes, checking duplicate hotkeys... this can be done with the localisation tool itself.

1) What does an EDB file contain? (I guess actual "Localized Strings").

It normally contains localisable resources. Strings, dialog boxes, hotkeys, menus... Everything is duplicated. You have the original resources and the localised ones.

2) Will we be getting those EDB files from the client or can we also make those?

As I said above, the EDB files (or their equivalents for the other localisation tools) are created from the locasiation tool.

3) Once we have those EDB files how do we use them to localize the product? (do we jus make a build using them?)

If your client has locstudio, they can generate the localised binary files and then you add them to your installation program.

If this is the first time you develop an application that has to be localised, my advise would be that you make sure that you first of all "internationalise" it. Internationalisation means making sure that your application is ready to be localised.

A classical example: will date formats be displayed according to the final user's locale settings or will you always show Month/Date/Year because it is hardcoded? Do you use concatenated strings?

Things like "The application cannot read this $$VARIABLE$$" whare "variable" is replaced by "document" or "file" on runtime depending on what the user is trying to do work very well in English but in the many other languages the word "the" may have to be translated differently depending on whether you are talking of a file or a document.

Here there is an introduction:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization

Ihope this helps!

Daniel

tee_jay
tee_jay
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot guys! Apr 13, 2006

Thankyou very much 'dgmaga' & 'Samuel' for such a nice explanation.
With this last post of dgmaga i've got an understanding base of what localization is and how it works.

Will definitely revert back in case i get stuck somewhere again..

Thanks.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
An example of how I translate some programs Apr 13, 2006

dgmaga wrote:
It depends a lot of what development environment you have used. For instance, many localisation tools can import RC files or binary files (DLLs or EXEs) created VisualStudio. ... Alternatively, if your application does not have many dialog boxes to be resized and translators only have translate texts, it might be enough to export the strings to a text file.

This is what I did when I did the volunteer translation of some program. I opened the EXE file in ResHack, extracted all the resource files (RC), opened it in MS Word, tagged it, translated it, then I compiled the RES files using Borland's Free Commandline Tools, then updated the resources in ResHack again. That was everything, 90% complete. The only thing I had to do after that was to check that all the menus and dialogs are correctly sized an positioned, and I had to update the language identifier codes in the EXE file.

Since you are a programmer, TeeJay, you may be familiar with the process of extracting, compiling and updating the resource files. So if you want, you could just give your translators the extracted resource files, along with a brief explanation of what they must and mustn't translate. Afterwards, once you've created the localised version, the translators can just open the localised EXE file in ResHack to check if the menus and dialogs look okay.

This is a very, very simplified method which may actually not apply to your project. But it is an example of how you could do it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization using "EDB" files?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »