Thread poster: Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov
Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jul 19, 2006

Here is some info about the new MS glossary:

"To provide users with more up-to-date terminology, Microsoft has replaced the glossary content that was previously posted to the Microsoft ftp site with a more concise document (CSV format) that is easier to use.

"This new CSV file contains over 14,000 English terms plus the translations of the terms for up to 45 different languages. Microsoft provides the Microsoft terminology data to allow their customers, ISVs, and partne
... See more

"To provide users with more up-to-date terminology, Microsoft has replaced the glossary content that was previously posted to the Microsoft ftp site with a more concise document (CSV format) that is easier to use.

"This new CSV file contains over 14,000 English terms plus the translations of the terms for up to 45 different languages. Microsoft provides the Microsoft terminology data to allow their customers, ISVs, and partners to have a more consistent user experience across the products they are using and developing."

For more information, please visit:
www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/MILSGlossary.mspx
Collapse

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Jul 19, 2006

Hi Ivaylo

Thanks a lot for sharing this.

Cheers,
Jerónimo

Andrea Brumma
Andrea Brumma
Spain
Local time: 19:21
English to German
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Jul 19, 2006

Thank you for sharing this extremely valuable information! I have downloaded the file immediately.

Andrea

Klarita (X)
Klarita (X)
French to English
+ ...
Thanks! Jul 20, 2006

Thanks! That's a great help!

Maurice Devroye
Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 13:21
English to French
For those of us with English and French in their language pairs Jul 20, 2006

Thanks to Ivaylo (and Microsoft) for this valuable link.

After downloading the file, I moved the English and French columns into a Trados TM (using Winalign for verification). I will be happy to export and forward the TM - containing some 12000 units - to anybody who would like to give it a try. No fees or strings attached.

You can email me at [email protected].

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:21
German to English
+ ...
More information Jul 25, 2006

ivaylo wrote:

"This new CSV file contains over 14,000 English terms plus the translations of the terms for up to 45 different languages.

1. Many thanks for the information

2. The MS Web page says that this glossary requires Excel 2003 and Windows XP. This is not entirely true. I have downloaded it, extracted the 9 MB .CSV file from the 2.4 MB Zip file and opened it with Excel 2000 running under Windows 98. The text is Unicode, and many language columns are in the script of the language; some are not. To my non-expert eyes, the alphabets seemed to be correct (under this environment) for Arabic, Greek, Hebrew, Bulgarian, Persian, Thai, Ukrainian (and German, French, Czech etc.), but not for Japanese, Chinese, Hindi, Korean.

3. I deleted most columns, just retaining the 10 languages that might conceivably interest me or colleagues, and the result is a .CSV file of 3.5 MB, that compresses to 800 kB.

4. BTW, for some of the languages not all the 14928 terms are translated, which must be why it is described as "up to" 45 languages.

Oliver

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
indeed very valuable Aug 1, 2006

Thank you Best Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Microsoft's glossaries

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »