Marlene Curtis
Marlene Curtis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 29, 2007

Hi, friends

Do you know a good legal Portuguese/English/Portuguese Dictionary you can recommend? Do you think the Noronha dictionary is good and reliable? (I had a few bad reports on it and am left with no options). Thank you very much in advance!

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dicionário Jurídico Nov 29, 2007

Hi Marlcurtis,
Although I do not specialize in legal translations, when needed I use:
'Dicionário Jurídico' PT/EN - EN/PT de Maria Chaves de Mello - Editora Elfos

Espero que ajude
Mafalda

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Local time: 04:10
Italian to English
+ ...
Reference web page to order? Nov 29, 2007

Mafalda, do you have a web page from which one can order (preferably in CD-Rom)?

I did a search, found references to the dictionary, but nothing directly from the publishing house.

Thanks

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Bad news Nov 29, 2007

As far as legal goes, we get the short end of the stick in the PT/EN dictionary market.

Those available - or at least those I've seen (let me cover myself) - range from hopeless to barely adequate, which is borne out by the general lousy standard of PT/EN legal translations.

That said, those that do exist also target the US market, so are not much use this side of the pond.

I've just been sent a translation (totalling some 36,000 words) with a request from
... See more
As far as legal goes, we get the short end of the stick in the PT/EN dictionary market.

Those available - or at least those I've seen (let me cover myself) - range from hopeless to barely adequate, which is borne out by the general lousy standard of PT/EN legal translations.

That said, those that do exist also target the US market, so are not much use this side of the pond.

I've just been sent a translation (totalling some 36,000 words) with a request from the European Commission to the client to have it completely redone by a lawyer-linguist. The translator obviously didn't have a clue what he/she was doing and indiscriminately used these "wonderful resources" as the gospel.

The only good news is that a very good native EN translator, who is also a lawyer and based in Lisbon, is busy compiling what promises to be a best-seller. No idea though how far he is with it. Won't be a minute too soon when he's done.

[Edited at 2007-11-29 14:49]
Collapse

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
dicionário jurídico Nov 29, 2007

Hi Latin Helas,
I bought mine in Porto and unfortunately do not know of a web page to order it.

Hi Lawyer Linguist,
I believe you are absolutely right. Let us wait for the promised final compilation from Lisbon.

All the best,

Mafalda

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks ... Nov 29, 2007

... Lawyer-Linguist for your excellent report and to Mafalda for responding.

Hopefully all those interested will be promptly informed if and when a good product comes out (hopefully also in CD-Rom).

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:10
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My approach Nov 29, 2007

As previously mentioned, there are some inadequate ones on the market and not much else.

I tend to supplement them by consulting the E.U.'s terminology database, IATE.

If all else fails, as an absolute last resort, I look up the nearest cognates in the excellent Spanish-English legal dictionaries on my shelf.

For some reason, Portuguese-English dictionaries of all types seem to be difficult to obtain, and either shortish or out of date.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
I'm going to try and find out ... Nov 29, 2007

Latin_Hellas wrote:

... Lawyer-Linguist for your excellent report and to Mafalda for responding.

Hopefully all those interested will be promptly informed if and when a good product comes out (hopefully also in CD-Rom).

... the expected release date and will ask about a possible CD version.

Will post once I have some news.

Debs

Pieter Merkx, M.A., B.Tr. (X)
Pieter Merkx, M.A., B.Tr. (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Legal Portuguese/English Dictionary Aug 31, 2012

Alas, no CD-ROM

http://www.editorametodo.com.br/produtos_descricao.asp?codigo_produto=322

(At least, i did not find one).

SLG
SLG  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
Hi Lawyer-Linguist. Was this legal dictionary published? Oct 24, 2012

[quote]Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

The only good news is that a very good native EN translator, who is also a lawyer and based in Lisbon, is busy compiling what promises to be a best-seller. No idea though how far he is with it. Won't be a minute too soon when he's done.

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I second that question! Any news? Jul 4, 2015

[quote]SLG wrote:

Hi Lawyer-Linguist. Was this legal dictionary published?

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Unfortunately Jul 5, 2015

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

... - range from hopeless to barely adequate...

Fully agree. In any of the dictionaries had landed in my hands, I would find awful things. It's since long ago that I spare myself from even looking for such kind of dictionaries, their usage would just jeopardize the credibility of my work.
Now I am curious about this new one - será, será que finalmente?..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal Portuguese/English Dictionary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »