John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Канада
Local time: 13:00
Член ProZ.com c 2008
французский => английский
+ ...
Jan 28, 2010

I am about to start a large project having been supplied with TTX files. I generally use Wordfast and in a trial run had no difficulty using Wordfast with pre- and post-processing of the TTX files with PlusToyz.

However, Wordfast presents the TTX segments as a tag jungle, which I can see will slow things done quite a bit. I also have MetaTexis, which would need an inexpensive upgrade to handle TTX. I also have AidTrans Studio Basic which claims to handle TTX (although I have neve
... See more
I am about to start a large project having been supplied with TTX files. I generally use Wordfast and in a trial run had no difficulty using Wordfast with pre- and post-processing of the TTX files with PlusToyz.

However, Wordfast presents the TTX segments as a tag jungle, which I can see will slow things done quite a bit. I also have MetaTexis, which would need an inexpensive upgrade to handle TTX. I also have AidTrans Studio Basic which claims to handle TTX (although I have never tried it) and OmegaT. And I don't have Trados Tag Editor (and at this point am not planning to get it).

Can anyone say what they have found to be the best inexpensive tool to work with TTX files? Or will they all present the same tag jungle?

[Edited at 2010-01-28 15:44 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Польша
Local time: 19:00
Член ProZ.com c 2009
английский => польский
+ ...
I do have Trados but Jan 28, 2010

sometimes I use Wordfast instead because of its great glossary and tag handling features. It can insert terms when no match is found as well as insert tags with the surrounding spaces and punctuation (you have to set that up in PB). I don't know what your text is, but you can add commonly used phrases to the glossary and have them inserted automatically (like "and then select", "for more information, see" etc.).

I think that all CAT's will present you with a tag jungle, otherwise th
... See more
sometimes I use Wordfast instead because of its great glossary and tag handling features. It can insert terms when no match is found as well as insert tags with the surrounding spaces and punctuation (you have to set that up in PB). I don't know what your text is, but you can add commonly used phrases to the glossary and have them inserted automatically (like "and then select", "for more information, see" etc.).

I think that all CAT's will present you with a tag jungle, otherwise the tagging would not be preseved. However, you could try an experiment - replace all tags in your document with <T> or any other short tag. The important thing is that those tags should keep their style (tw4winInternal). The tag content should not matter to your tool. Once you've translated the modified document, you should be able to translate an unmodified copy automatically.

[Edited at 2010-01-28 15:53 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Нидерланды
Член ProZ.com c 2006
английский => африкаанс
+ ...
Some comments Jan 28, 2010

John Fossey wrote:
I generally use Wordfast and in a trial run had no difficulty using Wordfast with pre- and post-processing of the TTX files with PlusToyz.

Interesting. I also use Wordfast, but I use Trados (it's possible to use the demo version 6) to turn a monolingual TTX into a bilingual TTX, and then I tag it by hand (something which PlusToyz probably does for you).

However, Wordfast presents the TTX segments as a tag jungle, which I can see will slow things done quite a bit.

I'm sorry to hear that the tag jungle slows you down. But... won't it slow you down in all programs that do TTX files? Because whether the tags are displayed as little icons or as large chunks of red text, you have to deal with them anyway.

I also have... OmegaT.

TTX in OmegaT is a rather convoluted process and somewhat experimental too. Basically you have to convert the TTX file to some intermediary format that OmegaT can read, and then convert the translation back to TTX. I have never been able to do it successfully, but there are others on the OmegaT mailing list that have done it many times and would be willing to share their experiences with you.

Say, when you're using Wordfast, are you able to grab whole chunks of red text using a keyboard shortcut? Because that's what you're supposed to do. Just a thought.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Канада
Член ProZ.com c 2008
французский => английский
+ ...
Автор темы
Wordfast tag placing Jan 28, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Say, when you're using Wordfast, are you able to grab whole chunks of red text using a keyboard shortcut? Because that's what you're supposed to do. Just a thought.

Yes, Wordfast will do that with Ctrl+Alt+Arrow (Left/Right to select the tag group, down to place). OmegaT has the advantage that tags are collapsed into short abbreviations, but it doesn't have the placeable feature.

Part of the problem is that the text consists of thousands of short pieces of text, or even single words, which tend to get lost in among lengthy tags. But its helpful to hear others' feedback.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:00
английский => испанский
Use Swordfish for TTX files Jan 28, 2010

John Fossey wrote:
Can anyone say what they have found to be the best inexpensive tool to work with TTX files? Or will they all present the same tag jungle?

Hi,

You can use Swordfish to translate TTX files. It will hide all external tags and only show the ones you need to see in current segment.

Regards,
Rodolfo

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
Франция
французский => голландский
+ ...
Use your TM as a glossary Jan 28, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

Part of the problem is that the text consists of thousands of short pieces of text, or even single words, which tend to get lost in among lengthy tags. But its helpful to hear others' feedback.

After having done the beginning of your chunks of text, read your TM in Excel, delete all the columns except the source and the target columns and save this in .txt as a glossary. Use this glossary for further translation, along with your TM. Set Pandora's box to CopySourceWhenNoMatch and Propagate1. (You can even have several TM/glossaries at the same time, each will be coming with its own colour). Do this regularly, every three or four hours of so. It speeds up translation to a high extent especially when the chunks of text coming from the glossary are more effective than the matches coming from the TM.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Колумбия
Local time: 12:00
Член ProZ.com c 2002
немецкий => испанский
+ ...
Use TTXpress for converting ttx from/to rtf Jan 29, 2010

Although my usual method for translating ttx files involves pre-translating them with a TRADOS demo version for making them workable with DéjàVu, I have used this template in the past for working ttx files with Word and Wordfast Classic.

You can download it from http://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=3076.0

Saludos

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
США
Wordfast and TTX files Mar 24, 2010

John Fossey wrote:

However, Wordfast presents the TTX segments as a tag jungle, which I can see will slow things done quite a bit. I also have MetaTexis, which would need an inexpensive upgrade to handle TTX. I also have AidTrans Studio Basic which claims to handle TTX (although I have never tried it) and OmegaT. And I don't have Trados Tag Editor (and at this point am not planning to get it).

[Edited at 2010-01-28 15:44 GMT]

John - Now you can use Wordfast Pro to handle your TTX files directly without pre- and post- processing. The latest release, Wordfast Pro 2.3 (which you can download here - www.wordfast.com/store_download.html) includes support for TTX files as well as several other features. As a Wordfast license holder, you are currently entitled to install and license this new version for free.

Please note: support for TTX files in Wordfast Classic is coming soon.

Hope this helps,

Kristyna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT for TTX (other than Trados)?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »