memoQ vs SDL Studio - recommendation?
De persoon die dit onderwerp heeft geplaatst: Darko Perkovic
Oct 28, 2013

Hi all,
I'm working in a localization agency. We are currently trying to find a new solution for our CAT software tools. We have been using SDL Studio, but are now thinking of switching to memoQ. Has anyone done a similar switch? What are good / bad things about it? Should we keep SDL Studio for some reason parallel to memoQ?

Please, give us your advice,
Thanks!

[Edited at 2013-10-28 12:14 GMT]

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgarije
Local time: 00:55
Lid 2008
Engels naar Bulgaars
+ ...

Keep both Oct 28, 2013

Hi Peer!

MemoQ is not quite ready yet, I am afraid. There is no on-the-fly spell checking with the Office spell checker, and no segments/words are proposed automatically from your Translation Memories (AutoSuggest in Trados). Deja vu X2 is the quickest and most comprehensive tool as far as automatic suggestions and flexible incorporation of Machine translation, but it lacks other important features.

However, MemoQ is generally more stable than Trados and can be quicker,
... See more
Hi Peer!

MemoQ is not quite ready yet, I am afraid. There is no on-the-fly spell checking with the Office spell checker, and no segments/words are proposed automatically from your Translation Memories (AutoSuggest in Trados). Deja vu X2 is the quickest and most comprehensive tool as far as automatic suggestions and flexible incorporation of Machine translation, but it lacks other important features.

However, MemoQ is generally more stable than Trados and can be quicker, so it is ultimately a matter of preference.

I would not get rid of Trados though, as most agencies still have it and if you receive outsourced work you might need it.

Kind Regards,
Pavel Tsvetkov
Collapse

Steven Segaert
Steven Segaert
Estland
Lid 2012
Engels naar Nederlands
+ ...
Put some time in testing Oct 29, 2013

It seems that most of the differences between CAT tools are more details than deal-breakers these days, so you need to check it against your own workflow. For me, for example, MemoQ has everything I need (including predictive typing) and is easier to use than Studio. Others strongly disagree. But I haven't yet found a "killer feature" I absolutely need and that is present in one tool and not in the other. Your experience may be different, so you need to test it out.

For MemoQ, that
... See more
It seems that most of the differences between CAT tools are more details than deal-breakers these days, so you need to check it against your own workflow. For me, for example, MemoQ has everything I need (including predictive typing) and is easier to use than Studio. Others strongly disagree. But I haven't yet found a "killer feature" I absolutely need and that is present in one tool and not in the other. Your experience may be different, so you need to test it out.

For MemoQ, that is quite easy - just download the fully functional trial and have your way with it for 45 days.

And in general, as long as you have a strategy in place for sharing files and resources within your team, there is no reason why your team members can't stick to the tool they prefer. In my experience, interoperability is entirely possible. You just need to understand what you're doing.
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:55
Frans naar Pools
+ ...
Killer feature... a little bit off topic... languages... Oct 29, 2013

Steven Segaert wrote:

(...) But I haven't yet found a "killer feature" I absolutely need and that is present in one tool and not in the other. Your experience may be different, so you need to test it out.

Easy networking, project sharing and multiple instances (e.g. pretranslation in the background) in Déjà Vu.
And almost zero administration.
It's the best solution for small teams (I work with my wife).

I can stand its weaknesses (e.g. poor QA) using CAT hopping.
If I have a choice, I usually select memoQ as pre- and postprocessor, if necessary.

What are your main source languages?
The text recognition algorithms in mQ and Studio are different.
Both algorithms are not "flat" i.e. mQ is optimized to reduce the noise (e.g. it works well for "filter out" the articles in English) but it may penalize some languages, Studio is designed to throw artificially higher matches, so you may receive aberrant matches, especially for short segments.
According to SDL, the matching for short segments was revised in Studio 2014 ( have no time to test it now) but I doubt they removed the increasing factor at the global level (in relative terms, Studio gives approx. 33% "better" matches than Trados Wokbench i.e. a 70% match in Workbench is a 80% match in Studio).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-10-29 09:06 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
Frans naar Pools
+ ...
mQ Oct 30, 2013

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

MemoQ is not quite ready yet, I am afraid. There is no on-the-fly spell checking with the Office spell checker.

False
Starting from yesterday
This function was just added in mQ 2013 R2.

and no segments/words are proposed automatically from your Translation Memories (AutoSuggest in Trados).

You didn't miss Muses?

Deja vu X2 is the quickest and most comprehensive tool as far as automatic suggestions and flexible incorporation of Machine translation, but it lacks other important features.

Agree.
E.g. the QA is frankly better in mQ.
So why I often use mQ-DVX-mQ workflows.
But maybe some changes will be made in DVX3 (is should be shipped in few months).

However, MemoQ is generally more stable than Trados and can be quicker, so it is ultimately a matter of preference.
I would not get rid of Trados though, as most agencies still have it and if you receive outsourced work you might need it.

I agree it makes sense to not get rid of Trados (as you already own a couple of licenses) but mQ would be frankly a better choice for me.
Just few factors:
- price,
- unlimited server connections,
- rather honest text recognition algorithms,
- better compatibility with Trados Workbench formats,
- easy CAT hopping,
- working terminology module.
One of the few point where Trados is frankly superior is the fact the format of its resources is more stable, every mQ upgrade means a full data migration which may be a PITA in some cases.
As two important mQ releases are shipped every year, it may be somehow annoying.

Of course, you have also the look and feel, it's very personal but I always found the tools based on project DB are more flexible than the tools based on documents.
As Steven wrote, just test both tools.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-10-30 02:28 GMT]

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Engels naar Duits
+ ...
In memoriam
Context please Oct 30, 2013

PeerVanDark wrote:
We are currently trying to find a new solution for our CAT software tools. We have been using SDL Studio, but are now thinking of switching to memoQ.
Thanks!

It is difficult to give you advice without knowing more about your current environment and about the features you want to use in the future.

What is your current environment? Trados 2007/2009/2011? Are you using a freelancer version, a professional version or a server solution? Why are you planning to change/update your platform? What is it you don't like in your current system, what is it you want to achieve with your new system?

Without this info, nobody will be able to give you any useful input/feedback.

All you will get is another version of the old religious CAT war - My system is better --- No, my system is better - your system is crap --- no you are wrong, my system is better.....

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Fins naar Frans
OP works with localization agency Oct 30, 2013

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:
Are you using a freelancer version, a professional version or a server solution?

The original poster did state: I'm working in a localization agency, and he wrote we..., so I assume he's not a freelancer and they are using the Professional edition in a server environment. I also assume he's considering the corresponding memoQ server environment, but better get confirmation from him.
Why are you planning to change/update your platform? What is it you don't like in your current system, what is it you want to achieve with your new system?

I'd also be interested to hear what he has to say about that!

Wladyslaw Janowski
Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
Duits naar Pools
+ ...
MemoQ IS ready Oct 30, 2013

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

Hi Peer!

Kind Regards,
Pavel Tsvetkov

I guess, you have not seen the just released memoQ 2013 R2. Or never worked with memoQ. There IS on-the-fly spellchecking with Office spellchecker with settings, allowing to slect curly underlining. And an equivalent feature to Studio's AutoSuggest, called "Predictive Typing" is there in memoQ since 6.2.x
MemoQ is substantially more stable and faster then Studio.

If someone just hae a valid license for Studio (any release), I don't see the reason to uninstall it. Sometimes it can be helpful for preparation of projects to work with memoQ on. But memoQ is evolving and the dependency on Studio when working on Studio projects in memoQ is beeing reduced with each new build or version.
My recommendation would be: work with memoQ (without any limitations for working on TTX/Studio projects, as I'm doing since 1 year) but behave Studio for rare cases, when it is simplier to prepare Studio projects for memoQ with Studio.

And according no my observations after 1 year of using memoQ, this software is developing by far faster then Studio and is more flexible.

Moreover - you can download a free trial for the newest memoQ, whereas a trial of Studio 2014 is still not avaiable, even for actual fully licensed users of Studio 2011.
Regards
WJ

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
Frankrijk
Lid 2010
Engels naar Frans
SITE LOCALIZER
some "legacy" functions can't be performed with MemoQ Oct 30, 2013

Hello

I have both Studio and MemoQ and I was using MemQ 90% o the time when I was given a strange task:

handle .itd as input and as output files;in fact the very final format was InDesign, which I doon't support.

I tried MemoQ wihout success then had to switch back to Studio 2011, which is not very flexible.

Thanks for your comments

Madeleine

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Fins naar Frans
ITD, InDesign Oct 30, 2013

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:
I have both Studio and MemoQ and I was using MemQ 90% o the time when I was given a strange task:

handle .itd as input and as output files;in fact the very final format was InDesign, which I doon't support.

I tried MemoQ wihout success then had to switch back to Studio 2011, which is not very flexible.

ITD is the format of an SDLX project (SDLX is the "ancestor" of Studio, the tool SDL tried to compete with against Trados, until they realized it would be easier to buy the whole company). AFAIK, Studio can't translate ITD directly, but it can convert it to TTX (TagEditor), after which you can translate it in Studio. memoQ also supports the TTX format, so you should be able to translate your .ITD.TTX in memoQ as well.

As to InDesign (INX or IDML), it is supported in memoQ, so you should be able to translate it in memoQ as well. In fact, memoQ also supports the native InDesign format (INDD), which Studio doesn't.

RWS Community
RWS Community
Verenigd Koninkrijk
Engels
ITD Oct 30, 2013

Hi

FYI...you can open ITD files directly in Studio.

Regards
Richard

Grzegorz Gryc
Frans naar Pools
+ ...
ITD Oct 30, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

FYI...you can open ITD files directly in Studio.

Probably it's the only sound way to deal with these files today.
The SDLX use is very limited now, the SDLX projects I receive sometimes contain always multiple small ITD files exported from some legacy CMS system.
If you must open 'em one by one in SDLX, it's a PITA.
When concerted to SDLXLIFF, you can use any modern tool of your choice and group the files (e.g. create a view in memQ or open the global project view in DVX).
Of course, you can also use Studio, in theory it should handle file merging but I deliberately never used it.
The merge feature in SDL software (e.g. Trados Glue) was sometimes suicidal so I tend to avoid it.

Cheers
GG

Darko Perkovic
Darko Perkovic
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Thanks Oct 30, 2013

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

Hi Peer!

Kind Regards,
Pavel Tsvetkov

Hi Pavel,

Thank you for your reply! I was overwhelmed by so many replies in such a short time, and all are helpful. It is still difficult to decide. It seems memoQ is catching up with SDL Studio quite fast, but Studio still has a few tricks more up its sleeve We'll see. Thank you!

Darko Perkovic
Darko Perkovic
ONDERWERPSTARTER
Testing in progress... Oct 30, 2013

Steven Segaert wrote:

For MemoQ, that is quite easy - just download the fully functional trial and have your way with it for 45 days.

And in general, as long as you have a strategy in place for sharing files and resources within your team, there is no reason why your team members can't stick to the tool they prefer. In my experience, interoperability is entirely possible. You just need to understand what you're doing.

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your reply! I agree with you - the workflow and testing are key terms at this point. One of my colleagues (very eager to test software as such!) is currently testing memoQ. He tested OmegaT, Okapi, CafeTran and God knows what, so we are getting close to the final verdict

Darko Perkovic
Darko Perkovic
ONDERWERPSTARTER
I hear you ;) Oct 30, 2013

PeerVanDark wrote:
We are currently trying to find a new solution for our CAT software tools. We have been using SDL Studio, but are now thinking of switching to memoQ.
Thanks!

It is difficult to give you advice without knowing more about your current environment and about the features you want to use in the future.

What is your current environment? Trados 2007/2009/2011? Are you using a freelancer version, a professional version or a server solution? Why are you planning to change/update your platform? What is it you don't like in your current system, what is it you want to achieve with your new system?

Without this info, nobody will be able to give you any useful input/feedback.

All you will get is another version of the old religious CAT war - My system is better --- No, my system is better - your system is crap --- no you are wrong, my system is better.....

As a localization agency we used Trados 2007, and after that, we used Studio 2009, server-based professional edition. We tried out Studio 2011. What strike us as negative is file format jam that is sometimes (one too many times...) created with various versions of IDML and MIF files produced by our DTP or DTP of our clients. We started considering an update or switching to a new system that would perhaps behave more stable. We took price into account as well. So, that's it, in general.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

memoQ vs SDL Studio - recommendation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »