software translation and charges
Thread poster: stephanieL
stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
Feb 13, 2007

Hi all,

I have recently started translating a software program, used to run campsites. Could you comment on the following translations although someone suggested KudoZ might be more suitable for this:

MSG: Nom du fichier export = Nome (del?) file(di?) esportazione

MSG: Il n'y a aucun résultat pour cette sélection = La selezione non ha prodotto alcun risultato / Nessun risultato trovato

MSG: Texte de l'entête du formulaire de réservation =
... See more
Hi all,

I have recently started translating a software program, used to run campsites. Could you comment on the following translations although someone suggested KudoZ might be more suitable for this:

MSG: Nom du fichier export = Nome (del?) file(di?) esportazione

MSG: Il n'y a aucun résultat pour cette sélection = La selezione non ha prodotto alcun risultato / Nessun risultato trovato

MSG: Texte de l'entête du formulaire de réservation = Testo dell’ intestazione del modulo di prenotazione

MSG: Période non paramétrée = ...

Also, and more importantly, I really do not know how much I should be charging my client for this job. I believe there are 24000 messages to be translated which look like the ones above. Would I charge per number of words? Bear in mind that I am totally inexperienced… So far, I have been translating at a rate of 50 messages per hr.

I hope you can help.

Thank you.

stephanie
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:55
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
to answer your questions Feb 14, 2007

Hi Stephanie

for the first part of your post, I do believe Kudoz is the best place to ask for help/advice.

On a general note, articles and preposition in Italian strings are "generally" included in for error messages and tootips kind of strings, while they are usually omitted in menu command and dialog box options (where there may be a space limitation), unless required for clarity.

For your second question, fee: it is always best to discuss and agree abou
... See more
Hi Stephanie

for the first part of your post, I do believe Kudoz is the best place to ask for help/advice.

On a general note, articles and preposition in Italian strings are "generally" included in for error messages and tootips kind of strings, while they are usually omitted in menu command and dialog box options (where there may be a space limitation), unless required for clarity.

For your second question, fee: it is always best to discuss and agree about the fee for any project with the client before starting on the project itself.
Translation of strings is usually paid on a per source word basis. You can also charge per hour, but in this case you should give the client a good estimate of the time required at the beginning of the project, and inform him as soon as possible if you see that the task will require longer than estimated.

Good luck!
Roberta
Collapse

stephanieL
stephanieL
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
what amount Feb 14, 2007

Hi Roberta and thank you for your tips. The problem is that i am not quite aware of how much a translator would charge either per hour or per word for a project like this. And im not sure either about the speed in terms of hrs or words per day at which an average translator would (or would be expected to) carry out the work.

I know that i will have to negotiate all this with the client but could you give me an idea of what the average (or minimum)pay rates are and of what a reasona
... See more
Hi Roberta and thank you for your tips. The problem is that i am not quite aware of how much a translator would charge either per hour or per word for a project like this. And im not sure either about the speed in terms of hrs or words per day at which an average translator would (or would be expected to) carry out the work.

I know that i will have to negotiate all this with the client but could you give me an idea of what the average (or minimum)pay rates are and of what a reasonable speed of translation would be (for example, i think i can translate 1500 words per day).

Thank you.

stephanie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

software translation and charges

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »