Stran v tématu:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you think a translator's profile picture can influence an outsourcer's final decision?
Autor vlákna: ProZ.com Staff
m_temmer
m_temmer  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:25
angličtina -> nizozemština
+ ...
of course Apr 25, 2011

As it was already said, it shouldn't, but of course it does. It's just part of the information we pick up, be it consciously or unconsciously. And whether we want to admit it or not, it influences our decisions.
That doesn't necessarily mean that good looking translators get more work though. Maybe customers have the idea that a really good translator must look like a "geek"... Or unconsciously an outsourcer is reminded e.g. of a deceased relative or of a really good friend or something...
... See more
As it was already said, it shouldn't, but of course it does. It's just part of the information we pick up, be it consciously or unconsciously. And whether we want to admit it or not, it influences our decisions.
That doesn't necessarily mean that good looking translators get more work though. Maybe customers have the idea that a really good translator must look like a "geek"... Or unconsciously an outsourcer is reminded e.g. of a deceased relative or of a really good friend or something...
Even though a picture will definitely not be decisive, every piece of information on a cv influences outsourcers.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexiko
Local time: 14:25
Člen (2006)
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Maybe Apr 25, 2011

It should not influence outsourcers but there are many kinds of personalities judging and deciding over a good CV. At least I have never seen a profile picture depicting a psycho-like face with a knife, just punk hairstyles or family photos.

Arthur Godinho
Arthur Godinho  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 16:25
Člen (2009)
angličtina -> portugalština
+ ...
No Apr 25, 2011

Simply put:

Does the client hire your translating ability/know-how or your devilish good looks?

Does he/she want someone who can translate or a does he/she want a Barbie or Ken doll?

Personally, I couldn't care less what you look like. The only important question in my mind is, to my mind, the only question that really matters:

Can he or she do the job well?

The Misha
The Misha
ruština -> angličtina
+ ...
Whether we like it or not, there's human pscychology at work here. Apr 25, 2011

Of course the way you look matters (whether it's fair or not), even if your potential client is not conscious of the fact. With this in mind, I'd stay away from any pictures if you are young enough since that fact alone could be equated with inexperience, true or perceived. Similarly and counterintuitively, if you are young AND beautiful, AND a lady, you could simply be perceived as not serious enough. Or not - but why take chances? If need be, you could always provide a photo to you client AFTE... See more
Of course the way you look matters (whether it's fair or not), even if your potential client is not conscious of the fact. With this in mind, I'd stay away from any pictures if you are young enough since that fact alone could be equated with inexperience, true or perceived. Similarly and counterintuitively, if you are young AND beautiful, AND a lady, you could simply be perceived as not serious enough. Or not - but why take chances? If need be, you could always provide a photo to you client AFTER the fact.

Also, as Simon Bruni said above, children, dogs, elephants, trumpets, saxophones and anything else unrelated to the business at hand is a total no-no. Competing for business is hard enough as it is without shooting yourself in the foot.

There's also the matter of maintaining one's privacy. I, for one, like mine just fine.

As a disclaimer, I am in my mid 40s, 20+ years in the business, two children, two serious hobbies, no dogs at the moment and no secret agendas.
Collapse

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
Spojené státy americké
Local time: 15:25
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
Definitely! Apr 25, 2011

I know that I form judgements based on profile pics, so I imagine that others do too.

My first impression of someone who puts a picture of a pet or child as their profile is often that they are probably a hobbyist, rather than a full-time translator. Conversely, I tend to shy away from people with super-polished "glamour shot"-type pictures, as I tend to think that they might consider their appearance more important than spending serious time on their work.

Having sai
... See more
I know that I form judgements based on profile pics, so I imagine that others do too.

My first impression of someone who puts a picture of a pet or child as their profile is often that they are probably a hobbyist, rather than a full-time translator. Conversely, I tend to shy away from people with super-polished "glamour shot"-type pictures, as I tend to think that they might consider their appearance more important than spending serious time on their work.

Having said that, I prefer a picture (or a logo) over nothing at all - I do think that expressing SOME aspect of your business or personality is better than none. There is (or used to be) a translator on here with an image of something that looked like a foetus in utero - I always liked that one, as it portrayed a serious image and made me think that that particular translator would be au fait with the latest medical developments. Other than that, I tend to gravitate towards profiles featuring clear head-shots of friendly, sincere-looking and businesslike people, and well-composed shots of people at tidy desks with lots of reference books!
Collapse

Mohd Tariq
Mohd Tariq
Indie
Local time: 01:55
angličtina -> paňdžábštína
+ ...
Of course Yes! Apr 25, 2011

Of course Yes!

The pic of a translator gives a physical appearance to the outsourcer.
Most of the people on sites/megazines/newspapers are recognized by their pics and styles only.

The look speaks as well.
It gives a real image to viewer to keep in mind.

Even more the profile completeness gives points for the pic.....!!!! So be aware how much a pic can do while outsourcing......!!!!

Mami Yamaguchi
Mami Yamaguchi  Identity Verified
Japonsko
Local time: 05:25
Člen (2008)
angličtina -> japonština
+ ...
I don't know....but Apr 25, 2011

The reason why I show my photo is that a business partner who has kept more than a year relashionship with me always believed that I am male. Although my name is 'Mami' and it is obviously female name, he believed such that until then. Also an another agency used 'he' many times when he mentioned about me... So I decided to show my appearance.

[Edited at 2011-04-26 05:09 GMT]

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Švédsko
Local time: 22:25
Člen (2009)
švédština -> angličtina
+ ...
Professionalism Apr 25, 2011

If the outsourcer is looking for a professional, to undertake a job for them, then an image with a professional-looking photograph or logo would be what they would expect.

However, I'm sure (I hope!) that no serious outsourcer would choose a less experienced but more attractive translator over a more experienced but less attractive one.

BirgitBerlin
BirgitBerlin  Identity Verified
Německo
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
cute cat! Apr 25, 2011

Arthur Godinho wrote:

Simply put:

Does the client hire your translating ability/know-how or your devilish good looks?

That is a very, very cute cat, Arthur, and as a cat lover I'd hire you straight away!!!

I think people look at your skills first, but if they also like your picture it's an added bonus.
Since I have my current photo I definitely get more enquiries.

Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
It will likely influence the decision, but it shouldn’t Apr 25, 2011

In fact, any potential client that makes the decision to hire or reject hiring me based on my picture, after learning that I am a patent attorney, holder of a PhD in Chemical Engineering and an MBA in Finance, an ATA-cert. EN>ES translator and a ProZ’s Pro, is a client that I don’t want to have. Thank goodness that those clients are irrelevant, at least for me, as proven by the fact that I am working 50-60 hours per week, at a rate well above the one expected for my “unusual” pair, Engli... See more
In fact, any potential client that makes the decision to hire or reject hiring me based on my picture, after learning that I am a patent attorney, holder of a PhD in Chemical Engineering and an MBA in Finance, an ATA-cert. EN>ES translator and a ProZ’s Pro, is a client that I don’t want to have. Thank goodness that those clients are irrelevant, at least for me, as proven by the fact that I am working 50-60 hours per week, at a rate well above the one expected for my “unusual” pair, English to Spanish.

In the United States, attaching a picture to your CV when you are seeking employment (not a freelance contract) is a no-no, as the picture tends to show “parameters” that are illegal to consider when making an employment decision: boy or girl; young or old; white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc.

But, surely, human beings been what they are, a picture may/will have an influence in contracting decisions. If one needs that extra help, he or she should feel free to use it. In the meantime, I will keep showing my picture, an eight year-old pix, proudly holding my eldest grandson (in spite that, as it is said, a pix with children is a no-no marketing approach).

Best to all,
Luis

[Edited at 2011-04-25 23:29 GMT]
Collapse

Dewinta Maharani
Dewinta Maharani  Identity Verified
Indonésie
Local time: 03:25
angličtina -> indonéština
+ ...
No Apr 26, 2011

Arthur Godinho wrote:

Simply put:

Does he/she want someone who can translate or a does he/she want a Barbie or Ken doll?

Personally, I couldn't care less what you look like. The only important question in my mind is, to my mind, the only question that really matters:

Can he or she do the job well?

Karin Berling
Karin Berling  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
Člen (2010)
bokmal -> angličtina
+ ...
Depends Apr 26, 2011

I have noticed that many European resumes require a photo, whereas that would be unheard of here in the US. I prefer profiles with a photo or at least a professional logo. This job is lonely enough as it is - always nice to know there are actual humans behind all those computer screens

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Kanada
Člen (2009)
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
yes Apr 26, 2011

I agree that having a professional looking photo of yourself (not your pets or kids) is a good idea...not so much for getting hired but I think we all like to have a mental image of the person we're dealing with. Especially since we are not likely to ever meet most of the people we work with.

I can see how a photo that looks old, blurry, like a prison photo or overly 'airbrushed' could deter someone from engaging you but I would hope that in general, it's our skills etc that ultimat
... See more
I agree that having a professional looking photo of yourself (not your pets or kids) is a good idea...not so much for getting hired but I think we all like to have a mental image of the person we're dealing with. Especially since we are not likely to ever meet most of the people we work with.

I can see how a photo that looks old, blurry, like a prison photo or overly 'airbrushed' could deter someone from engaging you but I would hope that in general, it's our skills etc that ultimately determine the outcome. I have no idea if someone has rejected my services because of my photo but if they do, then so be it!
Collapse

scriptrans (X)
scriptrans (X)

angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
Why should it matter? Apr 26, 2011

I have no idea what the people I work for look like and I don't really care as long as they pay me on time. A photo would tell me nothing about their reliabilty since looks can be very very deceiving. So why should my looks matter to them? Would that tell them anything about my skills? No.

Then again, if I had a choice between a translator with a "suit and tie" picture and one with a picture of/with their children or pets I would always go for the latter (assuming that they both had
... See more
I have no idea what the people I work for look like and I don't really care as long as they pay me on time. A photo would tell me nothing about their reliabilty since looks can be very very deceiving. So why should my looks matter to them? Would that tell them anything about my skills? No.

Then again, if I had a choice between a translator with a "suit and tie" picture and one with a picture of/with their children or pets I would always go for the latter (assuming that they both had the same skills/experience) as I detest so-called business attire.
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
angličtina -> francouzština
+ ...
Yes Apr 26, 2011

Voice used to be (very) important when (potential) clients were calling. I realised that when a customer phoned me on a Monday early morning and said (after I had accepted the job) “even on a Monday morning you sound peppy, it is a pleasure, and you made my day!”

I hardly ever get any professional calls now, and even though looks may not be important, our general attitude on and the choice of a photograph probably give away much more than what we think.

I posted my
... See more
Voice used to be (very) important when (potential) clients were calling. I realised that when a customer phoned me on a Monday early morning and said (after I had accepted the job) “even on a Monday morning you sound peppy, it is a pleasure, and you made my day!”

I hardly ever get any professional calls now, and even though looks may not be important, our general attitude on and the choice of a photograph probably give away much more than what we think.

I posted my picture on Proz after a Dutch colleague tried to figure out who was who at a powwow, and asked why I hid among the “anonymous”. I’ve noticed since then at any conference, powwow or other get-together, that people I’d never met before recognise me (‘I’ve seen you before’)… Posting here (and elsewhere) is another way to allow others to get to know you – and can be the start of a conversation when you meet a Prozian IRL.

I do not remember ever enclosing my picture in a CV, but would not object to it – I only send my CV on request anyway (to customers I’ve been working with for some time), in the format and with the information as required.

Wish you a great day!

[Modifié le 2011-04-26 07:29 GMT]

[Modifié le 2011-04-26 08:06 GMT]
Collapse

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think a translator's profile picture can influence an outsourcer's final decision?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »