Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]
Poll: How do you address most of your clients?
Autor vlákna: ProZ.com Staff
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Německo
Local time: 23:27
Člen (2009)
angličtina -> němčina
+ ...
"Liebe" May 27, 2011

Nesrin wrote:

Germany - in my experience - is a different matter. I've been dealing with clients for years who still insist on addressing me "Liebe Frau Amin" and sign with their full name, so I'd never dare to do otherwise!!

[Edited at 2011-05-27 13:02 GMT]

This is rather an unusual address in the world of professional business.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dánsko
Člen (2003)
dánština -> angličtina
+ ...
I follow the client's lead May 27, 2011

-- Which means first names for most, as they are Scandinavians. British agencies are going that way too.

If anyone adresses me as Dear Ms Andersen, then I address them as Dear Mr or Ms. Occasionally crossing my fingers that I have chosen the right option!

With German agencies I carefully copy whatever form they use and try to write a polite line in German before resorting to English for serious business.

I then cut and paste the greeting from their mail wit
... See more
-- Which means first names for most, as they are Scandinavians. British agencies are going that way too.

If anyone adresses me as Dear Ms Andersen, then I address them as Dear Mr or Ms. Occasionally crossing my fingers that I have chosen the right option!

With German agencies I carefully copy whatever form they use and try to write a polite line in German before resorting to English for serious business.

I then cut and paste the greeting from their mail with the double s thingy and Freundlichen Grüss or whatever they use.

I'm fine if they write in German to me, but it takes me too long to write in German myself.
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 22:27
angličtina -> arabština
+ ...
It's true though... May 27, 2011

Thayenga wrote:

Nesrin wrote:

Germany - in my experience - is a different matter. I've been dealing with clients for years who still insist on addressing me "Liebe Frau Amin" and sign with their full name, so I'd never dare to do otherwise!!

[Edited at 2011-05-27 13:02 GMT]

This is rather an unusual address in the world of professional business.

It is the truth though, I promise. They may have started out with "Sehr geehrte...", but as I said, I'd been dealing with them for years, and things were generally very friendly and informal, with the exception of the "Frau Amin" bit.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:27
angličtina -> španělština
+ ...
Same as Christine May 27, 2011

I always use "Dear Ms./Mrs./Mr." for the first contacts, and after that I follow their lead.

If the client addresses me by my given name, I do likewise. If they stick to the "Ms. Riffo" formula, I reply in a like manner.

Greetings!

Andrea

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
Čína
German clients are the most complicated clients in terms of addressing May 27, 2011

If the client happens to have a Doctor title, you must address this person with his/her title as well, in the formal business world at least...

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
Čína
I appreciate your uncomplicated way May 27, 2011

Rolf Kern wrote:

Most of my clients are agencies. I do not address them at all and go straight to the point. In most cases I just write "Kind regards" and send them an attachment.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Local time: 22:27
Člen (2007)
angličtina
+ ...
Things may be changing (perhaps not in Germany, though) May 27, 2011

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:
New contacts = Dear Madam/Dear Sir
Old(er) contacts = their surname (by obligation).

I must admit that I am "unconsciously" miffed when I receive a e-mail from potential clients I never heard of before begining with "Dear Catherine". For me, it is very unpolite and disrespectful. Those persons are not old friends, I don't even know them, and I am not a servant.
I know, politeness rules are not the same in all cultures, but I'd appreciate if my professional contacts could show as much respect for my culture as I am doing my utmost to respect theirs.

patriciacharnet wrote:
Personally, I think the French speakers should relax a bit .... but the will of the majority is still to remain formal

Maybe the French are relaxing a little: one French business contact (of several years' standing) recently signed an email "Fabien" and another (2 years) addressed me as "tu" on the phone (I hate that as it complicates the grammar so much - so thoughtless of them). On the other hand, employees of a Polish company I have worked with for over 3 years have never addressed an email to anyone other than "Madam".

I have little to do with the English in my professional life but was amazed a while back when I needed quotes for moving a longcase clock from the UK to the south of France. Armed with the "Yellow Pages", I fired off several emails, starting with "Hello" and ending "Sheila Wilson". Without exception, the quotes came back headed "Hi Sheila" or "Hello Sheila". I wasn't shocked, but I was taken aback. I'm sure it wasn't that informal 18 years ago when I left the UK.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Kanada
Člen (2009)
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
honorifics May 28, 2011

if they're new or it's my first contact...
once I start working with them it's first name...the same seems to go for them. It starts as Miss Blanshay or Ms Blanshay, depending on the country of origin. Then it's Marlene.

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
Francie
Člen (2010)
angličtina -> francouzština
SITE LOCALIZER
I follow their lead May 28, 2011

I generally deal with non-French people and say Hello for the first contact. Otherwise I would say dear Mz Smith (I don't care if she is married or not). Dear Sir sounds strange to me. Dear Lady seems unused.
The mail ends with Best regards.

After the first contact I am generally answered by my first name, then I switch to the contact's first name and end with Kind regards.

It is good to know that Germany is more formal.

Now I become awkward when writ
... See more
I generally deal with non-French people and say Hello for the first contact. Otherwise I would say dear Mz Smith (I don't care if she is married or not). Dear Sir sounds strange to me. Dear Lady seems unused.
The mail ends with Best regards.

After the first contact I am generally answered by my first name, then I switch to the contact's first name and end with Kind regards.

It is good to know that Germany is more formal.

Now I become awkward when writing in French, but I would never say "tu" to a professional contact.

Marie

[Edited at 2011-05-28 07:41 GMT]
Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
angličtina -> francouzština
+ ...
In memoriam
Petite leçon de savoir-vivre à la française /About French manners May 28, 2011

Good morning,

I'l like to draw your attention on a point which could be useful to all of you who might need to write formal letters/e-mails to French clients/contacts.

Contrary to the English habit, when you write to someone you know rather well, because, for instance, you have already worked several times with this individual or you have already met him/her in person, if you want to begin with "Cher/Chère", this adjective must never be followed by the complete
... See more
Good morning,

I'l like to draw your attention on a point which could be useful to all of you who might need to write formal letters/e-mails to French clients/contacts.

Contrary to the English habit, when you write to someone you know rather well, because, for instance, you have already worked several times with this individual or you have already met him/her in person, if you want to begin with "Cher/Chère", this adjective must never be followed by the complete name.

"Cher/Chère" can only be used before a) a surname, e.g. : "Chère Martine/ Cher Paul", or b) Madame/Monsieur, e.g. :"Chère Madame/Cher Monsieur".

You cannot write (or say) a) "Chère Madame Martine Dupont / Cher Monsieur Paul Durand", neither b) "Chère Madame Martine / Cher Monsieur Paul", nor c) "Chère Martine Dupont / Cher Paul Durand". If you do so, you will be perceived as a person of poor education/lower class.

When you have to write for complaining against somebody's / a company's action (if you know the name of your contact), you begin your e-mail with "à l'attention de Madame Dupont / de Monsieur Durand", followed (in a new paragraph) by a sharp "Madame" or "Monsieur" (only, i.e. without "Cher/Chère" or the name of the contact) and you end your message with a sharp "Salutations".

Otherwise, the best end is "cordialement" (neutral) or "bien cordialement" (more friendly). Please avoid the abbreviation "Cdlt"

Have a nice day

Catherine

P.S. : @Rolf : I am sure that even agencies deserve politeness. If we want they respect us, we also must show respectful towards them !

[Edited at 2011-05-28 09:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-05-29 06:52 GMT]
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Česká republika
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
Another good formula May 30, 2011

In addition to everything already mentioned in this thread, there is a simple and polite salutation I use when writing to agencies, if I don't know the name of the recipient: "Dear colleagues".

Stran v tématu:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you address most of your clients?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »