Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you do to keep your back healthy during intense periods of work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 18:16
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
sole massage, Schanz neck collar, Mesulid Sep 19, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

This is what I do during any period of work (intense or not):

1. I always exercise my fingers and hands before I start typing,
2. I sit well back in my fully adjustable leather office chair with a tall back and arm rests,
3. For lumbar support I bought a small special cushion (Orthia),
4. I have adjusted the seat height so that my feet are flat on the floor and my knees are equal to, or slightly lower, than my hips,
5. My screen is at eye level,
6. I have all objects I need within easy reach
7. I take 2-3 minutes breaks (almost) every hour to stretch and walk…

I must be doing something right as I’m older than most of you and I do not suffer from any of the common ailments generally attributed to sitting long hours at the computer, except for poor circulation in my legs specially in the warm weather which is probably more of an age thing…

- as a heavy smoker so I stand up regularly with a cup of coffee and walk to my balcony to kill my flowers with my smoke dust...
- as a night owl so I drink a lot of fluids (but sometimes can drink a lot of energy drink too)
- my tiny room is very comfortable and everything is adjusted to my height (153 cm is not a height, actually ...) and eyes
- I have a wooden frame with a set of different tiny wooden rolls (of different shape and size) made in Latvia (it is straight under my desk) and I can do sole massage, if working barefoot
- and I sadly admit that after I had severe back problems I have a custom-made special Schanz neck collar so if my work exceeds 10 hours I have to wear it b e f o r e my back/neck starts to fail.
- and I do have a lot of Apranax/Mesulid at home if nothing helps))

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Handstands. Sep 19, 2016

try to do them daily. They give you balance, strength and coordination. Plus you can't perform them without a healthy back and as you do them your back is getting stronger (two way street).

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Actually, see a doctor first Sep 19, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

try to do them daily. They give you balance, strength and coordination. Plus you can't perform them without a healthy back and as you do them your back is getting stronger (two way street).

We all have our favorite home remedies to relieve this or that pain. There isn't a single thing that will solve everyone's physical pain, so see your doctor before you try doing something radical, like handstands, yoga or move to the tropics.

Acupuncture may be another option, but it is not for everyone.

It's not just the back that has to be healthy, but the entire body. I'm recovering from tennis elbow (I don't play tennis!) and I had to change some of my arm/hand positions to prevent reinjury. Yes, I saw an occupational therapist.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
: ) Sep 19, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

We all have our favorite home remedies to relieve this or that pain. There isn't a single thing that will solve everyone's physical pain, so see your doctor before you try doing something radical, like handstands, yoga or move to the tropics.

Acupuncture may be another option, but it is not for everyone.

It's not just the back that has to be healthy, but the entire body. I'm recovering from tennis elbow (I don't play tennis!) and I had to change some of my arm/hand positions to prevent reinjury. Yes, I saw an occupational therapist.

Radical? I did circus art hanging from the top of a 10 meter silk (inverted). : D

Of course, that's why I am doing them. If I set a goal of one handstand daily, then I will have to maintain my weight and all the other muscles, otherwise, bye bye handstands. At least those nice, aligned, and artistically beautiful handstands. Of course, you can play with wall support, but that's not a handstand.

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:46
English to Hindi
+ ...
Looking for healthy options Sep 20, 2016

I have reduced amount of work to a big level. I do not need much money to survive. I can raise my rates a bit to the extent that it does not create any problem for the clients.

Moreover, I am trying to shift myself to countryside places, looking for other professions also like teaching, interpretation etc. wherein, I do not need to sit for long hours. If I get good amount of money from somewhere at less interest by a genuine person (of course, not from spam senders...
See more
I have reduced amount of work to a big level. I do not need much money to survive. I can raise my rates a bit to the extent that it does not create any problem for the clients.

Moreover, I am trying to shift myself to countryside places, looking for other professions also like teaching, interpretation etc. wherein, I do not need to sit for long hours. If I get good amount of money from somewhere at less interest by a genuine person (of course, not from spam senders) ), I can own a small business, agency or even a small shop later to earn that much living, which is necessary for my family to survive.

Moreover, now my wife has also learnt doing jobs and work in an office environment. She has joined a a small office now. So, in this manner, I am uploading some of my burden to my wife's shoulders now.

I love doing religious, educational and interesting translations, which I will be always open to. If I may not have money, I may leave my wifi expenses, I may leave any big expenses as I do not ever want to become too much dependent on anything.

I wish to be there for my family for long time as my son is too small. For that, I need to be healthy for the whole of my life. And, I will do so, whatever it takes.
Collapse

Cecília Alves
Cecília Alves  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:16
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Have been doing nothing, but I really miss some Pilates and acupuncture Sep 20, 2016

I have a mild lumbar herniated disc and, when experienced an acute crisis a couple of years ago, first had to receive some short waves to be able to do activities I was interested at: to go through acupuncture sessions and attend Pilates classes. For little over a year, they really made me feel much better and strengthened, but since I moved from Brazil and work load increased (which is not an excuse, of course; besides, there are times when work is really low), I've not been doing anything for ... See more
I have a mild lumbar herniated disc and, when experienced an acute crisis a couple of years ago, first had to receive some short waves to be able to do activities I was interested at: to go through acupuncture sessions and attend Pilates classes. For little over a year, they really made me feel much better and strengthened, but since I moved from Brazil and work load increased (which is not an excuse, of course; besides, there are times when work is really low), I've not been doing anything for my poor lumbar, except from self-massaging before getting out of bed in the morning or when it really aches over the day. Nonetheless, after being in a sitting position working for some time, I always get up, stretch legs and do some household tasks. And I have a running machine at home, which is still waiting for me to resume daily exercising...Collapse

Paul García
Paul García
United States
Local time: 12:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
work standing up Sep 25, 2016

I do some of the above, plus work standing up (which I learned from Charles Dickens) and use a timer to quit for a break every hour (whether I want to or not) to do something completely unrelated.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Peter Riccomini
Peter Riccomini  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Get a good chair Sep 26, 2016

I think it is important to work at a desk or table, rather than on the sofa or bed.

The chair should be of office quality, not consumer quality. This can mean spending at least three or four times as much, but if you are going to spend several hours a day on it, you will notice the difference.

Also, as Teresa noted, the chair should be at the right height. Many people have the chair too high, meaning that they are bending forward all the time. With regard toother adjust
... See more
I think it is important to work at a desk or table, rather than on the sofa or bed.

The chair should be of office quality, not consumer quality. This can mean spending at least three or four times as much, but if you are going to spend several hours a day on it, you will notice the difference.

Also, as Teresa noted, the chair should be at the right height. Many people have the chair too high, meaning that they are bending forward all the time. With regard toother adjustments, Teresa's tips are all spot on.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do to keep your back healthy during intense periods of work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »