Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Does your main CAT tool have "too many features"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 01:03
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes May 22, 2023

My main CAT has too many features, these are the most common.

Sometimes, it is in hidden mode:

IMG_20230124_213248786

Other times in snooze mode:

IMG_20220626_231314744

And not too often, in rest mode:

IMG_20220721_191734_resized_20220802_062029530 (2)

There is the irritating mode, but you don't want to see it.

Seriously speaking, my main CAT tool can have lots of features, but I use the ones according to my preferences and needs. Sure it is always nice to know better some more of them more specific, because they may be useful in the future.

Christopher Schröder
Lieven Malaise
MollyRose
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
Nikolay Novitskiy
Kay Denney

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 03:03
English to Russian
+ ...
Step right up May 23, 2023

Nikolay Novitskiy wrote:

It still can't make my favorite covfefe

Even the thing Tom Waits was selling in "Step Right Up" couldn't make covfefe. I'm not sure he'd include it in the song if he wrote it today. I guess making covfefe is the next level, we're not quite at it yet

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:03
French to English
. May 23, 2023

'Does your main CAT tool have "too many features"?'
'Yes, but I don't find it problematic'

Tom's not fulfilling his role here so since nature abhors the void, I'll fill in.

If there are "too many" features, it's problematic.
If there are abundant features, most of which you just ignore, there are not too many. There are simply more than necessary. Like the plum tree which produces an abundance of fruit one year (and hardly any the next) Who knows, these fe
... See more
'Does your main CAT tool have "too many features"?'
'Yes, but I don't find it problematic'

Tom's not fulfilling his role here so since nature abhors the void, I'll fill in.

If there are "too many" features, it's problematic.
If there are abundant features, most of which you just ignore, there are not too many. There are simply more than necessary. Like the plum tree which produces an abundance of fruit one year (and hardly any the next) Who knows, these features might come in useful one day, like that "pizza knife" that ended up in your second drawer in the kitchen.

My main CAT tool is fine, I find it very easy to browse and the buttons have logical names so I know whether or not clicking on them will be at all useful.

Trados on the other hand, I find totally bloated. It uses up a lot of memory, it bugs now and then and there are tons of weirdly named features that I have no idea what they are for. The ones I do need, I have looked for in vain, then stumbled upon once it's too late. Then the next time I need one I can't remember where it was because the software is not at all intuitive. You might say I should have taken advantage of the free introductory course that was available when I bought the tool, but there were no dates that suited me, and I never needed one for MemoQ, I found everything I need intuitively.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Laura Kingdon

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Does your main CAT tool have "too many features"?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »