Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Beyond your working languages, do you learn other languages for your own pleasure (e.g. Latin)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 14:35
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My working languages are more important Feb 12

I learnt Latin (level 4) at university other than the introductory Latin you learn at secondary school in Portugal. It was very difficult for me, but I managed.
After that, I didn't finish Italian at university because the teacher wasn't a good one.
A few years after starting my career, I took lessons with an Arabic teacher, but I gave up because of the time.
I think that if I tried harder and had more time, I might have been able to write and speak reasonably.
It's not
... See more
I learnt Latin (level 4) at university other than the introductory Latin you learn at secondary school in Portugal. It was very difficult for me, but I managed.
After that, I didn't finish Italian at university because the teacher wasn't a good one.
A few years after starting my career, I took lessons with an Arabic teacher, but I gave up because of the time.
I think that if I tried harder and had more time, I might have been able to write and speak reasonably.
It's not easy! There are words that are common between Arabic and Portuguese, but that's not enough at all.
I'd rather put more effort into my working languages because they are more important.

[Edited at 2024-02-12 20:41 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Angie Garbarino

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I hear you Feb 13

Christine Andersen wrote:

I have just come back from visiting family in Italy, where I wished I had worked harder at Italian (and resolved to do so from now on). It seems much more difficult than learning Danish when I first came here!

Given your Nordic background I can understand, but: Come va adesso? Va meglio dopo aver passato del tempo in Italia?.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Beyond your working languages, do you learn other languages for your own pleasure (e.g. Latin)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »