Poll: Do you offer certified document translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 25

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you offer certified document translation?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:11
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Apr 25

I was a sworn translator in Belgium. I moved back to my home country in 2015 and in Portugal, unlike other countries, there are no sworn translators. To certify a translation, so that a translated document is legally valid, it is necessary to make its certification at the organisations empowered to do so (namely Notary’s Offices and Attorneys). That is why I have been working with an attorney for the certification of my translations. He also proofreads some of my legal translation work. Anyway... See more
I was a sworn translator in Belgium. I moved back to my home country in 2015 and in Portugal, unlike other countries, there are no sworn translators. To certify a translation, so that a translated document is legally valid, it is necessary to make its certification at the organisations empowered to do so (namely Notary’s Offices and Attorneys). That is why I have been working with an attorney for the certification of my translations. He also proofreads some of my legal translation work. Anyway, I don't do it as regularly as I used to in Belgium...Collapse

Abdelrahman Ahmed Hamid Abdelrahman
Abdelrahman Ahmed Hamid Abdelrahman  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 23:11
Member (2020)
English to Arabic
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Headache! Apr 25

Certified translation in UAE involves a series of procedures and sometimes it just causes headaches.

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 13:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, every single day Apr 25

In Costa Rica, there are official translations and interpretations. We are appointed and regulated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Almost all my work is for official translations and interpretations.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 26

In Spain, sworn translations for certain official documents and/or organisations have to be done by an especially qualified "traductor jurado". I lack the qualifications to be able to legally provide this kind of service.

However, some of my clients are occasionally required to provide a certificate of translation, for example when their documents are to be submitted for publication in professional, scientific or academic journals. I am usually willing to issue a signed statement o
... See more
In Spain, sworn translations for certain official documents and/or organisations have to be done by an especially qualified "traductor jurado". I lack the qualifications to be able to legally provide this kind of service.

However, some of my clients are occasionally required to provide a certificate of translation, for example when their documents are to be submitted for publication in professional, scientific or academic journals. I am usually willing to issue a signed statement of my own certifying that the translation has been carried out by a qualified native speaker and is true to the original, and so far none of them has been rejected by the destinations in question.
Collapse

Justin Peterson
MollyRose

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:11
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Same here Apr 26

I have "certified" my work many times, with a letter, but this has no legal validity.

To be a sworn translator in Spain, curiously, I'd have to become a Spanish citizen, as this is one of the requirements.

JP

neilmac wrote:

However, some of my clients are occasionally required to provide a certificate of translation, for example when their documents are to be submitted for publication in professional, scientific or academic journals. I am usually willing to issue a signed statement of my own certifying that the translation has been carried out by a qualified native speaker and is true to the original, and so far none of them has been rejected by the destinations in question.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you offer certified document translation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »