投稿者: Enrique Cavalitto
Elena Woontner (X)
Elena Woontner (X)
米国
Local time: 10:36
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
I can already report a scam attempt: Javier Chavez Feb 28, 2012

This person used the ProZ mail to try and scam me about a 7000 words job. Luckily I smelled trouble from the start and the fact that he did not provide a phone number, even if asked several times, provided contradictory information on his physical whereabouts and status, and stated that he needed my bank information in order to send me a check (?).

I have not accepted the job, of course, and am reporting this person first here. Tomorrow he will hear from me. If any of you receives
... See more
This person used the ProZ mail to try and scam me about a 7000 words job. Luckily I smelled trouble from the start and the fact that he did not provide a phone number, even if asked several times, provided contradictory information on his physical whereabouts and status, and stated that he needed my bank information in order to send me a check (?).

I have not accepted the job, of course, and am reporting this person first here. Tomorrow he will hear from me. If any of you receives any communication from this person via ProZ mail, you have been warned.

Best,

Elena Woontner
Certified ProZ Member

[Edited at 2012-02-28 07:30 GMT]
Collapse

David Jacques
David Jacques  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
2011に入会
ドイツ語 から 英語
PayPal scam Feb 28, 2012

This is a scam - I don't have a PayPal account:

PayPal

We need your help

Dear Customer,

Warning! Your PayPal account was limited!

As part of our security measures, we regularly activity in the PayPal screen to learn recently you were contacted after finding a problem on your Account. at the request of information from you for the reason follows:What's the problem?

-Our system detec
... See more
This is a scam - I don't have a PayPal account:

PayPal

We need your help

Dear Customer,

Warning! Your PayPal account was limited!

As part of our security measures, we regularly activity in the PayPal screen to learn recently you were contacted after finding a problem on your Account. at the request of information from you for the reason follows:What's the problem?

-Our system detected unusual charges to a card Credit linked to your PayPal account.

Click To Confirm

PayPal Email ID: 5138-8872

Department of examining the accounts of PayPal.

The PayPal Corp. Copyright 1999-2012. All rights reserved

Sincerely,
PayPal
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
フランス
メンバー
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Frequent PayPal phishing scam Feb 28, 2012

Yes, David, this is a very common one that PayPal warn people about.

GENUINE messages from PayPal are ALWAYS addressed to you using the name you used when you created your account, NEVER 'Dear PayPal user" etc.

PayPal invite people receiving this sort of phishing scam to forward the message (complete with full headers etc.) to their security service, to which there is a link on their website.

Aliona Khaustova
Aliona Khaustova
スペイン
ロシア語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Very interesting feature and usefull of course!!!! Feb 28, 2012

But how can we recognise a real scam and don't accuse wrongly? ....For example, this week I send my CV to a blue board member and the company asks me to take a test (more than 250-300 as I was usually asked). I don't know why but I have some feeling that they wanted to have their work for free... and when I write them about this metter they said that they asked for more because this is a very good clients and very big project...I think with one translated page you can see if it is the right pers... See more
But how can we recognise a real scam and don't accuse wrongly? ....For example, this week I send my CV to a blue board member and the company asks me to take a test (more than 250-300 as I was usually asked). I don't know why but I have some feeling that they wanted to have their work for free... and when I write them about this metter they said that they asked for more because this is a very good clients and very big project...I think with one translated page you can see if it is the right person or not... Maybe I'm too suspicious (I had a bad experience)....or maybe not.....Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
アルゼンチン
Local time: 14:36
2006に入会
英語 から スペイン語
TOPIC STARTER
Freelancers need their own risk management procedures Feb 28, 2012

Aliona Khaustova wrote:
Very interesting feature and usefull of course!!!!
But how can we recognise a real scam and don't accuse wrongly?

Hi Aliona,

Each freelancer needs to develop a consistent risk management policy and use it to make this kind of decisions. Nobody can (or should) do this for you.

ProZ.com provides tools and opportunities. The Translators scam alerts center (and many other useful tools) provide information that should be used by translators for enhancing their risk management procedures.

Regards,
Enrique

eski
eski  Identity Verified
メキシコ
Local time: 11:36
メンバー
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...

モデレーター
Thanks Enrique; Feb 28, 2012

Many thanks for the Scam Alert Center, IMO: A much-needed initiative.
I have been very fortunate to "escape" the evil designs of most scammers up to now, but recently, I was scammed by an outfilt in New Delhi; India.
In this particular case, the scam was set up a little differently: I noted that the outsourcer was not a ProZ.com member (he claimed to have very little knowledge of the site) which set off a "red flag" in my mind and I told them that I would need some identification; p
... See more
Many thanks for the Scam Alert Center, IMO: A much-needed initiative.
I have been very fortunate to "escape" the evil designs of most scammers up to now, but recently, I was scammed by an outfilt in New Delhi; India.
In this particular case, the scam was set up a little differently: I noted that the outsourcer was not a ProZ.com member (he claimed to have very little knowledge of the site) which set off a "red flag" in my mind and I told them that I would need some identification; phone numbers, website, etc. - they responded by inviting me to check out the outsourcer web page, which I did. In fact, I googled the agenciy's name and even found another site where the director's smiling photograph appeared, together with their street address, phone numbers, etc.- all correctly confirming the webpage information.

After communicating this to them and (alas) feeling somewhat less paranoid. I finally came to an agreement (they managed to whittle down my asking price by about 20%). Next, they asked me to translate a "brief sample test", which I did (about 500 words). Then they said that they'd sent me the 'wrong' test document and sent me another, but -due to my protests- agreed that I would be paid for the "mistaken " test document.

First off, in the initial e-mail to hire my services, the outsourcer explained that the translation project (involving a total of more than 20,000 source words) was for a regular client of theirs, but that the CLIENT would determine whether the QUALITY of the work was acceptable and would not pay for "inferior" translation quality. I therefore requested to be informed as soon as the client had decided upon the quality of the test translation before I would proceed with the translation project.

Three days went by and then I told by the agency that I was unwilling to wait any longer for the "client" (who was mysteriously unavaible for contact) to respond, but the head of the agency then said that as director, he was authorizing me to proceed and sent me a PO with all of the data we had agreed upon, (such as the deadline, volume of work, fees, etc.) I specifically had him re-draft the PO to include his authorization for me to proceed , because I still felt uneasy about the whole "Client approval" situation. (Now I know I should have followed my "gut feeling"!)

The upshot is that once I'd translated in excess of about 12,000 words, the outsourcer sent me notice that their "Client" had finally contacted him to inform the outsourcer that my "test document" (Which the director had rated as "Very professional" over a week before) had been rejected and that the "Client" would not pay for anything. At this point I got a little upset and asked the agency to send me at least 50% of our agreed upon fees ($600 USD) for the work which I'd already submitted, but he said that in spite of the PO and his authorization, that there was nothing he could do since the "Client" had the last word, etc.

All subsequent efforts to get paid were, needless to say, fruitless.

I submitted a negative report for this New Delhi-based outsourcer on the Blue Board and at that point another ProZ oeer contacted me, informing me that he had also been ripped off by the same agency. So far, they only have two entries on the Blue Board and they are both negative.
Hopefully, sharing my negative experience will help others to beware.

Keep up the good work, Enrique.
eski)

[Edited at 2012-02-28 14:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-28 14:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-28 14:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-28 14:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-03-01 00:56 GMT]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
アルゼンチン
2006に入会
英語 から スペイン語
TOPIC STARTER
Two subscription options are now available Mar 1, 2012

Dear members,

ProZ.com members have now two alternatives to subscribe to this service:

• Subscribe to the alerts: to receive all alerts as soon as they are sent
  • Subscribe to weekly digest: to receive only an email per week with a digest of the alerts sent during the last week.

... See more
  • Dear members,

ProZ.com members have now two alternatives to subscribe to this service:

• Subscribe to the alerts: to receive all alerts as soon as they are sent
  • Subscribe to weekly digest: to receive only an email per week with a digest of the alerts sent during the last week.

Seven alerts have been sent out so far.

Please consider promoting this tool among colleagues. A strong network will be a better collective protection against scammers.

Regards,
    Enrique ▲ Collapse

•  
    Andreas Berger
    Andreas Berger  Identity Verified
    ドイツ
    英語 から ドイツ語
    Linking known scammers' database to job notifications Mar 2, 2012

Great new feature, thank you!
    I was recently sent both a Nigerian/ advance/ over payment scam offer myself - not via ProZ - where a guy calling himself "Barry Bendtown" even phoned me up as I didn't respond to their over generous cheque (5000 Euros for translating a text on 'racism' that I found to be drawn from Wikipedia

As a future alternative to topic subcription - why not even link the scammer database to jo
    ... See more
    Great new feature, thank you!
    I was recently sent both a Nigerian/ advance/ over payment scam offer myself - not via ProZ - where a guy calling himself "Barry Bendtown" even phoned me up as I didn't respond to their over generous cheque (5000 Euros for translating a text on 'racism' that I found to be drawn from Wikipedia

As a future alternative to topic subcription - why not even link the scammer database to job notifications? Meaning: When generating a new job notification, the system checks whether poster is known as scammer, and if so, inserts a warning note into the message!
    (Shouldn't be too hard to do, provided the databases are/can be interconnected... And so much more pleasant than skimming through an ever growing list of obscure scamming fantasy names in the newsletter

Thanks again to Proz, "the numero uno" translator's online resource!
    Regards, Andreas B.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-03-02 21:57 GMT]
    Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
    アルゼンチン
    2006に入会
    英語 から スペイン語
    TOPIC STARTER
    Risk management and knowledge are the key Mar 5, 2012

Andreas Berger wrote:

As a future alternative to topic subcription - why not even link the scammer database to job notifications? Meaning: When generating a new job notification, the system checks whether poster is known as scammer, and if so, inserts a warning note into the message!
    (Shouldn't be too hard to do, provided the databases are/can be interconnected... And so much more pleasant than skimming through an ever growing list of obscure scamming fantasy names in the newsletter

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your kind words!

Please note that the jobs posted by means of the Jobs feature are controlled and linked to the BlueBoard, and in general they have a reasonable level of safety.

Scams are usually sent via direct contact, be it via ProZ.com profiles, social media or via email addresses captured by spammers. With an interface so broad it is unlikely that automatic measures will bring a reasonable level of protection.

The best approach to fight scammers is to help translators improve their risk management procedures, and a way of doing so is by raising awareness on the tricks used by criminals to try to steal from us.

Regards,
    Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
    アルゼンチン
    2006に入会
    英語 から スペイン語
    TOPIC STARTER
    "Impersonating" scam reported Mar 20, 2012

A ProZ.com member reported that false jobs are being offered in his name from a Gmail address that does not belong to him. Anything coming from this address (already blocked at ProZ.com) should be considered a scam attempt. Please have a look at our last scam alert and help spread the voice, as this scam is probably happening right now.

Regards,
    Enrique

Ildiko Santana
    Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
    米国
    Local time: 10:36
    2002に入会
    ハンガリー語 から 英語
    + ...

モデレーター
    Great resource Mar 20, 2012

Enrique wrote:

Please have a look at
    our last scam alert and help spread the voice, as this scam is probably happening right now.

Regards,
    Enrique

Dear Enrique,

Thank you so much for this link, what a great resource! It also made me realize that I should have filed a report each time I received such suspicious email (quite a few this year), *before* disposal... ; )

Thanks again & Best regards,
    Ildiko

Igor Lee
    Igor Lee  Identity Verified
    中国
    Local time: 01:36
    2012に入会
    英語 から 中国語
    + ...
    Very good topic Mar 28, 2012

This topic is very important for translators working in proz.

Maybe because the marco economic environment is not good as before, more and more cheaters appear.

We should not only protect ourselves, but also should share our precious experiences to our partners.

inespp
    inespp  Identity Verified
    スペイン
    2002に入会
    英語 から スペイン語
    + ...
    Another scam: fake translation tests Apr 24, 2012

I would add another scam, which is getting more frequent this days: the fake translation test.

It works like this: The agency splits a real project in small pieces and then sends each privately to a translator pretending it is a test necessary to get the job. After receiving all the translated “tests”, they reassemble and deliver the project to their customer without paying any translator.

I think we can avoid this by asking Proz and similar websites to REQUIRE the
    ... See more
    I would add another scam, which is getting more frequent this days: the fake translation test.

It works like this: The agency splits a real project in small pieces and then sends each privately to a translator pretending it is a test necessary to get the job. After receiving all the translated “tests”, they reassemble and deliver the project to their customer without paying any translator.

I think we can avoid this by asking Proz and similar websites to REQUIRE the publishers to post the test text along with the ad and that it should be no longer than 250 words. I have posted this proposal here and 114 people have voted it so far:

http://proz.uservoice.com/forums/37455-jobs/suggestions/2752926-always-require-to-post-the-translation-test-along-
    Collapse

veratek
    veratek
    ブラジル
    フランス語 から 英語
    + ...
    fake translation tests Jun 6, 2012

I think we can avoid this by asking Proz and similar websites to REQUIRE the publishers to post the test text along with the ad and that it should be no longer than 250 words. I have posted this proposal here and 114 people have voted it so far:

I totally agree.

I recently did a test for a FR>EN computer games project, and the agency will not inform me of the result of my test. They first insisted on doing it by phone, and the phone call never came. Then I aske
    ... See more

I totally agree.

I recently did a test for a FR>EN computer games project, and the agency will not inform me of the result of my test. They first insisted on doing it by phone, and the phone call never came. Then I asked for the result of the test by email, and that never came either.

I would like for any other translators who have done any such test recently to contact me directly, so that we compare the tests among ourselves and verify if this agency tried to do this or not.

I would also like to do the same verification for an agency requesting translations from BR Portuguese to EN - short press articles.
    Collapse

Vlatko
    Vlatko
    英語 から マケドニア語
    + ...
    Competition Jan 25, 2013

veratek wrote:

I totally agree.

I think the roots of the problem is in the similar sites.
    Get an Indian for $20/month to post projects on your competition sites, members get tired of wasting life time working on over 70% fake testings, members start searching new server/site (since all other sites are affected by this plague, site by site you become members to the RIGHT ONE), new mafia starts ruling your world.

2012 was the year of scum!
    I hope they will get tired in 2013.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
    Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing a new feature: Translator scam alert center

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »