Thread poster: Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:47
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 20, 2021

I'm looking for sources on the legal aspects of contracts for translations in English law. Is there anything specific that the law says about these contracts or general contract law applies only? I would appreciate pointing me in the right direction.

Mariusz Kuklinski

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:47
French to English
Contract Nov 20, 2021

Your starting point will be standard contract law for the provision of services.

Mariusz Kuklinski
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 23, 2021

Thanks, Nikki.

My best,
Mariusz

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 19:47
Italian to English
+ ...
There are things like this online Nov 26, 2021

https://www.atanet.org/career-education/business-strategies/contracts/

Basically, if you google "[country] translators' association contracts and service agreements" (without the inverted commas) you should find plenty of material. There are also lots of forum discussions devoted to things like contracts and NDAs.

Mariusz Kuklinski
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tony but Nov 26, 2021

Thanks Tony. I appreciate your intentions but I specifically referred to English Law in force, so ATA guidelines are not very helpful for me.
I have turned for help to fellow-translators precisely because my search on the internet, including some English translator institutions,
was not very fruitful. I have done my homework browsing through the Contract Law but the Contract Law doesn't say, e.g., when the
translation is deemed to have been accepted, if it has not been explicit
... See more
Thanks Tony. I appreciate your intentions but I specifically referred to English Law in force, so ATA guidelines are not very helpful for me.
I have turned for help to fellow-translators precisely because my search on the internet, including some English translator institutions,
was not very fruitful. I have done my homework browsing through the Contract Law but the Contract Law doesn't say, e.g., when the
translation is deemed to have been accepted, if it has not been explicitly rejected, or at least I was unable to find such provisions. In
Poland, there are laws on so called author's rights, so there's a specific cuf-off, I think, (I don't remember it exactly, I dealt with it 5 years
ago) it's one month. If the publisher has not rejected the translation by that time, it is deemed to have been accepted by default, with all
the legal and financial consequences. That's the kind of sources that I am looking for.

My best,
Mariusz
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal aspects of contracts for translations in English law

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »