MemSource XLIFF analysis gives 3x as many repetitions vs. SDL Analyse on an exported DOCX
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 8, 2021

I've encountered a problem where MemSource analysis yields 1153 repetitions in a XLIFF file, but if I export the same file to DOCX from MemSource, leave the source text only, and perform analysis in SDL Analyse, I only get 357 repetitions. How is that possible?
(Unfortunately, I can't share the files due to confidentiality.)

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 01:54
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
capitals? Oct 10, 2021

Probalby minor differences which Trados counts as differences and MemSource doesn't. Stuff like capitals, numbers, spaces at the end...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Artem Oct 10, 2021

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
I've encountered a problem where MemSource analysis yields 1153 repetitions in a XLIFF file, but if I export the same file to DOCX from MemSource, leave the source text only, and perform analysis in SDL Analyse, I only get 357 repetitions.

So, just to clarify: you analyzed both the XLIFF file and DOCX file in Trados, but the DOCX file yielded 357 words in repetitions while the XLIFF file yielded 1153 words in repetitions, right? Or did you analyze these two files in two different programs?

If you only analyzed the DOCX export in Trados... why don't you also analyze the XLIFF file in Trados, to see what the differences are?

[Edited at 2021-10-10 11:35 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DOCX in Trados, MXLIFF in MemSource Oct 10, 2021

Yes, you've understood correctly.

I had to perform the analysis in different programs. I wanted to analyze the MXLIFF file in Trados, but it wouldn't let me. Studio didn't recognize the file at all, and SDL Analyze accepted the file but gave me zeros in all categories.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
I've encountered a problem where MemSource analysis yields 1153 repetitions in a XLIFF file, but if I export the same file to DOCX from MemSource, leave the source text only, and perform analysis in SDL Analyse, I only get 357 repetitions.

So, just to clarify: you analyzed both the XLIFF file and DOCX file in Trados, but the DOCX file yielded 357 words in repetitions while the XLIFF file yielded 1153 words in repetitions, right? Or did you analyze these two files in two different programs?

If you only analyzed the DOCX export in Trados... why don't you also analyze the XLIFF file in Trados, to see what the differences are?

[Edited at 2021-10-10 11:35 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Artem Oct 11, 2021

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
I wanted to analyze the MXLIFF file in Trados, but it wouldn't let me. Studio didn't recognize the file at all, and SDL Analyze accepted the file but gave me zeros in all categories.

It is my understanding that SDL Analyze can only analyze SDLXLIFF files. Trados should be able to load MXLIFF files (create a project first), after which you should be able to analyze them in the project. If Trados won't accept the MXLIFF file, try changing its file extension to e.g. "XLF". Or ask in the Trados forum how to get Trados to recognise the MXLIFF files.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Managed to load it in Studio Oct 11, 2021

Thank you for your help Samuel. I've now managed to load and analyze the file in Studio. It turns out that MXLIFF is supported using a separate plugin. Direct analysis in Studio yielded only 20 repetitions in the file, just like OmegaT reported.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Artem Vakhitov wrote:
I wanted to analyze the MXLIFF file in Trados, but it wouldn't let me. Studio didn't recognize the file at all, and SDL Analyze accepted the file but gave me zeros in all categories.

It is my understanding that SDL Analyze can only analyze SDLXLIFF files. Trados should be able to load MXLIFF files (create a project first), after which you should be able to analyze them in the project. If Trados won't accept the MXLIFF file, try changing its file extension to e.g. "XLF". Or ask in the Trados forum how to get Trados to recognise the MXLIFF files.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update: pay extra attention to MemSource wordcounts, especially with certain large SW vendor Oct 31, 2021

As an update, the outsourcer admitted the existence of the problem (and even of a general MemSource wordcount problem with the files from that end client, a large software company everyone knows) but wouldn't dive into the details. I declined that job in the end.

My conclusion is that you should pay extra attention to MemSource wordcount and verify it if possible. I guess the problem lies with the opportunities to screw the translator using the "right" settings that MemSource gives
... See more
As an update, the outsourcer admitted the existence of the problem (and even of a general MemSource wordcount problem with the files from that end client, a large software company everyone knows) but wouldn't dive into the details. I declined that job in the end.

My conclusion is that you should pay extra attention to MemSource wordcount and verify it if possible. I guess the problem lies with the opportunities to screw the translator using the "right" settings that MemSource gives to the client and with the opaque model where you don't have direct access to the TM. I personally use an unusually low ratio of the adjusted wordcount to the "Total Review Words" as a sign that a file needs to be checked more carefully.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

MemSource XLIFF analysis gives 3x as many repetitions vs. SDL Analyse on an exported DOCX

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »