Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Definition of investment Jun 23, 2022

Is it telling that so many don't appear to know the difference between an investment and an expense?

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:09
Japanese to English
+ ...
investing Jun 24, 2022

Not forgetting that an investment and an expense may in some cases be one and the same. A $400 Japanese-English biomedical dictionary can be deducted as a business expense when I file my taxes while at the same time it is a key to obtaining future clients and work involving Japanese biomedical work. A $5000 contract from a medical laboratory can be considered a return on the $400 I invested in the dictionary. An expensive trip to Tokyo can be expensed when I do my taxes while it is also an inves... See more
Not forgetting that an investment and an expense may in some cases be one and the same. A $400 Japanese-English biomedical dictionary can be deducted as a business expense when I file my taxes while at the same time it is a key to obtaining future clients and work involving Japanese biomedical work. A $5000 contract from a medical laboratory can be considered a return on the $400 I invested in the dictionary. An expensive trip to Tokyo can be expensed when I do my taxes while it is also an investment as I may make many contacts which will guarantee future business.Collapse

Kevin Fulton

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Over the past two years, for my work and tools I have invested roughly:

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »