What is the best Eng-Sp / Es-Ing Legal dictionary?
Thread poster: Floria2011
Floria2011
Floria2011
Local time: 20:03
Apr 22, 2012

Would anyone be able to let me know if they know of an extremely concise English- Spanish / Español- Inglés legal dictionary that also contains a description of the terms?

Thanks in advance.

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
Local time: 03:03
English to German
get hold Apr 22, 2012

of as many as you can. The more the better.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:03
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Floria Apr 23, 2012

I am no expert in Spanish-English, but the 'Bilingual law dictionary' by Gallegos was mentioned as one of only 12 bilingual law dictionaries that were considered as (any) good by the authors of 'The Quality of Legal Dictionaries: An Assessment.' (by R. De Groot and Conrad Van Laer).

'In this article, De Groot and Van Laer assess the quality of many bilingual and multilingual legal dictionaries for the European Union languages. A truly interesting and useful part of the articl
... See more
I am no expert in Spanish-English, but the 'Bilingual law dictionary' by Gallegos was mentioned as one of only 12 bilingual law dictionaries that were considered as (any) good by the authors of 'The Quality of Legal Dictionaries: An Assessment.' (by R. De Groot and Conrad Van Laer).

'In this article, De Groot and Van Laer assess the quality of many bilingual and multilingual legal dictionaries for the European Union languages. A truly interesting and useful part of the article is at the beginning, where the authors write some general remarks about translation issues to consider when tackling legal terminology - this is in effect a short but useful course on legal translation.'

Please see here:

http://www.aboutranslation.com/2012/04/truly-useful-article-on-quality-of.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:%20AboutTranslation%20(About%20Translation) and here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/legal/220111-legal_terminology_websites_enit.html for more information about the article.

--------------------------
The article itself is available here: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1287603

'Studying the structure and content of more than 200 legal dictionaries containing legal languages of Member States of the European Union, we were favourably impressed by the quality of just twelve dictionaries:

Gallegos, C.
Bilingual law dictionary
Chicago [Merl] 2005
XVI+414 p
ISBN 1886347034 = 9781886347038'
--------------------------

Michael
Collapse

Floria2011
Floria2011
TOPIC STARTER
Useful and thorough Apr 23, 2012

Thank you Michael. Very useful and thorough.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:03
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Caution Apr 23, 2012

Floria2011 wrote:
Would anyone be able to let me know if they know of an extremely concise English- Spanish / Español- Inglés legal dictionary that also contains a description of the terms?

Not a good idea.

May I ask you whether you are a lawyer or have solid training in legal translation? If that is the case, your idea sounds OK.

If that is not the case, I strongly recommend to steer away from the idea that one "extremely concise" dictionary will help you in your legal translations. This is a very complex field and, if you want to produce good translations, you should get as many dictionaries as you can (both bilingual and monolingual in the two languages) for your research and to complement your specific training in legal translation.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Several Apr 23, 2012

I would suggest having at least one solid monolingual resource (Black's Law is what I use), also bilingual dictionaries such as the Diccionario de Términos Jurídicos (Alcaraz Varó and Hughes) and Law Dictionary (Cabanellas and Hoague), and then looking for specific terminologies online.

If you insist, the AVH is more concise (covers in one volume what Cabanellas and Hoague do in two), but, as hazmatgerman says, I really don't think you should look for "extremely concise".
... See more
I would suggest having at least one solid monolingual resource (Black's Law is what I use), also bilingual dictionaries such as the Diccionario de Términos Jurídicos (Alcaraz Varó and Hughes) and Law Dictionary (Cabanellas and Hoague), and then looking for specific terminologies online.

If you insist, the AVH is more concise (covers in one volume what Cabanellas and Hoague do in two), but, as hazmatgerman says, I really don't think you should look for "extremely concise".

Be careful: many words are used in different senses according to the areas of the law, etc.

Good luck!
Collapse

Floria2011
Floria2011
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias por la ayuda Apr 24, 2012

Muchas gracias por las indicaciones y las sugerencias. Estas han sido muy útiles.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the best Eng-Sp / Es-Ing Legal dictionary?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »