Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 03:38
Da Francese a Inglese
additions!!! Jun 14, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

It sounds like you're finally realizing that:

XYZ has been manufacturing [Noun] and [Noun] for more than 10 years, and more recently it has been manufacturing [Noun].

...is fine, except it kind of sounds like they stopped manufacturing X and X and are now manufacturing Y, which we're being told by the French speakers is not a possible interpretation of the French sentence.

No, they can't have stopped manufacturing Products1+2 because it's still the present perfect, so there's still relevance with the present.

I feel the urge nevertheless to add "as well" to this sentence (please, not that left hook!!!!)

XYZ has been manufacturing Product1 and Product2 for more than 10 years, and more recently it has been manufacturing Product3 as well.

It's getting increasingly cumbersome... I feel like ripping it apart and starting again, without looking at the French, since I can remember the facts to be conveyed, just producing something informative yet snappy...

Got to go, but will be back, don't think you've got rid of me

But yes, I would like to know if you've made your decision Thomas!

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
I agree with Bala again Jun 14, 2013

As you say, there is the short version (like in the French) or the complete version:

XYZ has been manufacturing [Noun] and [Noun] for more than 10 years, and more recently it has been manufacturing [Noun].

But there are issues with this sentence, which must necessarily be addressed, as I am sure that you will agree that the sentence cannot stay this way:

Firstly the two time clauses and back to back, which makes the sentence unbalanced, so I would start the
... See more
As you say, there is the short version (like in the French) or the complete version:

But there are issues with this sentence, which must necessarily be addressed, as I am sure that you will agree that the sentence cannot stay this way:

Firstly the two time clauses and back to back, which makes the sentence unbalanced, so I would start the sentence with "for more than 10 years".

Secondly, as translators we don't have a license to bore, we can't have leave this repetition in the sentence. So, we can get rid of the it, use a synonym "produce". And just to make the sentence more interesting I can use "more recently" with a point in time rather than a period. And I end up with Neilmac's solution, which I think was the first post in response to this question. Gut instincts are always good, and shouldn't be suppressed.

For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), and more recently, has started producing (noun).

Surely, there is nothing wrong with that sentence.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 02:38
Da Ebraico a Inglese
No left hooks! Not even a right jab! :-) Jun 14, 2013

Texte Style wrote:

Ty Kendall wrote:

It sounds like you're finally realizing that:

...is fine, except it kind of sounds like they stopped manufacturing X and X and are now manufacturing Y, which we're being told by the French speakers is not a possible interpretation of the French sentence.

No, they can't have stopped manufacturing Products1+2 because it's still the present perfect, so there's still relevance with the present.

I feel the urge nevertheless to add "as well" to this sentence (please, not that left hook!!!!)

I see that, but the present perfect *alone* feels somewhat "weak" to me - I don't feel that it is very clear in that sentence [to me]. When I hear the sentence, the present perfect doesn't stop me from "doing a double-take" and thinking "wait a minute, did they or didn't they?". The "as well" would certainly help in that regard, which stems from the same urge I had to add "also" before.

Tatty's sentence: "For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), and more recently, has started producing (noun)." which I think is similar to Michele's/yours earlier in the thread is fine.....because it doesn't have the "double-take" effect of the original sentence i.e. it's much clearer that products 1 + 2 are still being manufactured and 3 is an addition....which is what I wanted to express all along, only without fisticuffs.

[Edited at 2013-06-14 08:52 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:08
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Emboldened by the amnesty, here is another take Jun 14, 2013

Tatty wrote:
For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), and more recently, has started producing (noun).

When you roll this sentence over your tongue, it still sounds incorrect, though I am unable to pinpoint what is wrong with it. But it seems to me, that the verb "has been manufacturing" in one part of the sentence and "has started producing" in the second part seem out of balance.

Both verbs actually refer to an ongoing process of making the products. The "has been manufacturing" conveys this sense ok, but the second verb "has started producing" somehow makes it sound as if the process is still not complete and they are still experimenting and perfecting it. They have started it, but have not quite arrived there.

May be what could be done is to apply the same "has been" verb to both halves of the sentence by shortening the sentence like this:

For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), and more recently, (noun).

The full version would be:

For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), and more recently it has been manufacturing (noun).

Or, may be something like this:

For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), and (noun) is a recent addition.

Or:
For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), with (noun) a recent addition.

[2013-06-14 09:28 GMT पर संपादन हुआ]

Kay Denney
Francia
Da Francese a Inglese
more more more! Jun 14, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Tatty wrote:

When you roll this sentence over your tongue, it still sounds incorrect, though I am unable to pinpoint what is wrong with it. But it seems to me, that the verb "has been manufacturing" in one part of the sentence and "has started producing" in the second part seem out of balance.

Both verbs actually refer to an ongoing process of making the products. The "has been manufacturing" conveys this sense ok, but the second verb "has started producing" somehow makes it sound as if the process is still not complete and they are still experimenting and perfecting it. They have started it, but have not quite arrived there.

May be what could be done is to apply the same "has been" verb to both halves of the sentence by shortening the sentence like this:

For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), and more recently, (noun).

The full version would be:

For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), and more recently it has been manufacturing (noun).

For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), and (noun) is a recent addition.

Or:
For more than 10 years, XYZ has been manufacturing (noun) and (noun), with (noun) a recent addition.

[2013-06-14 09:28 GMT पर संपादन हुआ]

Shouldn't that be "a more recent addition"?

Or do you agree with me that it's not natural to qualify "recent" like that?

I wouldn't make any changes to either proposition if I were proofreading it

[Edited at 2013-06-14 10:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-14 10:07 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:08
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sufficient information is lacking to justify "more" before recent Jun 14, 2013

Texte Style wrote:

Or:

Shouldn't that be "a more recent addition"?

Or do you agree with me that it's not natural to qualify "recent" like that?

In this particular case, we don't have sufficient information on how recently the third product went into manufacture. So qualifying recent with a "more" would be pure conjecture, which could be true or otherwise.

To play it safe, I thought it best to leave recent unqualified.

Kay Denney
Francia
Da Francese a Inglese
(playing devil's advocate here...) Jun 15, 2013

In this particular case, we don't have sufficient information on how recently the third product went into manufacture. So qualifying recent with a "more" would be pure conjecture, which could be true or otherwise.

To play it safe, I thought it best to leave recent unqualified.

Bala, is the "plus" in "plus récemment" not sufficient information?

Pagine:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »