John Fry
John Fry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:06
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feb 28

How do the rest of you ensure terminological consistency in Phrase?
In Trados I create a termbase and add new terms to it as I translate, then when the translation is done I run "Verify" to make sure that I consistently used those terms that I added.
However, in Phrase the client controls the termbases, so I can't create my own and add terms to it.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:06
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
You ask Feb 28

John Fry wrote:
However, in Phrase the client controls the termbases, so I can't create my own and add terms to it.

I ask my clients to add a writeable termbase.

Dan

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:06
English to Russian
Me either Feb 28

I ask my client to create a dedicated writeable termbase for my own purposes. The client's termbase remain intact, while I can add my terms into the dedicated one. Some of them don't understand why I may need a termbase like that, but after I explain why I need it, they agree to do so.

Dan Lucas
Jorge Payan
Lingua 5B
Marijke Singer

John Fry
United States
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dan and Stepan for your wise replies Feb 29

I just wish Phrase would give the translator more control like other CAT tools do.
That's why I stick with Trados Studio despite all the bugs and frustrations.
In general Phrase seems to be designed from the ground up with the convenience of project managers, not translators, in mind.
Their use case model seems to assume a dimwitted translator whose options need to be constrained as much as possible by a savvy project manager, whereas in my experience the opposite is usually tr
... See more
I just wish Phrase would give the translator more control like other CAT tools do.
In general Phrase seems to be designed from the ground up with the convenience of project managers, not translators, in mind.
Their use case model seems to assume a dimwitted translator whose options need to be constrained as much as possible by a savvy project manager, whereas in my experience the opposite is usually true.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Dan Lucas
Marijke Singer
expressisverbis

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Effective, though Feb 29

John Fry wrote:
Their use case model seems to assume a dimwitted translator whose options need to be constrained as much as possible by a savvy project manager, whereas in my experience the opposite is usually true.

John, I think you're right there; I suspect they've also managed to establish a fan base among end clients/direct clients as well as agencies. Maybe it's easier and cheaper for them to handle than a full-on Studio/Worldserver setup? Anyway, it seems to be working for them. We operate in the same pair and, as I argue in this post, Phrase has taken huge bites out of Studio's market share over the past few years, at least in my area of specialization.

I think we're both going to have to get used to it.

Cheers,
Dan

Marijke Singer

Muhammad Nejati
Muhammad Nejati
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Obtaining term bases Mar 1

It's better to ask the client for a relevant term base or search for one in a pertinent website.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:06
French to English
. Mar 1

John Fry wrote:

This is so that once the good but expensive translator has built up a decent TM, they can then farm stuff out to cheaper translators without those cheaper translators wreaking havoc.

Or, in less jaded terms, to preserve terminology even when your primary translator is busy with better paid work or off on holiday spending his well-deserved cash.

Christopher Schröder
Marijke Singer

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Tell me about it Mar 1

Kay Denney wrote:
This is so that once the good but expensive translator has built up a decent TM, they can then farm stuff out to cheaper translators without those cheaper translators wreaking havoc.

You know they'll still wreak havoc!

Dan Lucas
Kay Denney

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I completely agree with this! Mar 5

John Fry wrote:

One of my best clients recently switched from SDL Trados Studio to Phrase. What a bright decision!
They now restricted the basic features of Phrase and regarding TMs it has been a "disaster".
I opened a thread about this a few months ago:

https://www.proz.com/forum/phrase_formerly_memsource_support/365047-no_chance_of_using_phrases_tm_when_downloading_bilingual_files_in_xliff_or_bilingual_docx_format.html

Phrase can be suitable for easier projects, but for more complicated ones and for advanced users it brings us several serious issues.
The most serious is that in the free version of Memsource we can't use our own TMs and TBs while you can work only on projects prepared by translation agencies, and only using the resources "restricted" by them.
When working on the Cloud, Phrase is horribly slow, even on a fast Internet connection!
I could upgrade to a paid version of Phrase, but I am not going to do that. I have my own paid CAT Tool which is fully interoperable!

[Edited at 2024-03-05 11:38 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Offline Mar 5

expressisverbis wrote:
When working on the Cloud, Phrase is horribly slow, even on a fast Internet connection!

Can you not download and install the Phrase desktop editor, the download the bilingual MXLIFF file and work on that offline? My internet connection can be fast but the latency is often poor so that's what I do.

Dan

Stepan Konev

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dan Mar 5

Dan Lucas wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Can you not download and install the Phrase desktop editor, the download the bilingual MXLIFF file and work on that offline? My internet connection can be fast but the latency is often poor so that's what I do.

Dan

No, I can't. Please check the thread I opened.
On "Document" (Web Editor) the options are deactivated.
"Download source file" and "Download target file" I simply don't see them (they disappeared!?), and "Export as" and "Import Bilingual" options are greyed out.
So, I can't work on the files on Phrase Desktop Editor or even use a different CAT Tool.
Some nice PMs are already activating those options, but it has been very frustrating.

[Edited at 2024-03-05 13:10 GMT]

Dan Lucas

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Mar 5

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Kay Denney wrote:

You know they'll still wreak havoc!

LOL don't I just!

John Fry
United States
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paying for Phrase doesn't help anyway Mar 5

expressisverbis wrote:
I could upgrade to a paid version of Phrase, but I am not going to do that. I have my own paid CAT Tool which is fully interoperable!

Normally an LSP "assigns" a project or job to a linguist in Memsource/Phrase. In this case, the linguist is not allowed to use their own TM/TB resources. However, if the linguist has a subscription to Memsource/Phrase, the LSP can "share" (instead of "assign") them the project/job, which allows the linguist to use their own TM/TB resources. So even if you paid for Phrase, you would still have to convince your clients to "share" the projects with you.

expressisverbis

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
So Phrase is the new Across? Mar 6

expressisverbis wrote:
... for advanced users it brings us several serious issues.
The most serious is that in the free version of Memsource we can't use our own TMs and TBs while you can work only on projects prepared by translation agencies, and only using the resources "restricted" by them.

This sounds to me like Phrase is competing with Across for the cup for the most user-unfriendly CAT tool.

Would it be possible to create a macro or even a dedicated tool that writes all source segments to a file? I once had this working for Across (the videos have been removed).

expressisverbis

Oriol VIP
Oriol VIP
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try the old-fashioned way. Mar 6

I always keep a mindful control of the projects I do, and always do a terminological hand-written report (aka Glossary) when the project is significant enough in size. This way I never miss. Rudimentary, for sure, but bulletproof nonetheless.

If you do it enough time, you'll find yourself developing mental skills that will make your life easier!

A tool is just a tool, it's the translator who does the job great!

expressisverbis
Kay Denney

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Terminological consistency?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »