Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: At what time do you generally finish your business day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:15
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I start working in the afternoon Jun 13, 2018

I wake up at 08.00, though I'm usually so busy I don't have time to translate. I usually do most of my work from 17.00-02.00.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Other Jun 13, 2018

Sometimes at 6 am. Is that later or earlier?

Victoria Batarchuk
Victoria Batarchuk  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:15
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Jun 13, 2018

It depends on too many factors: volume of work, deadline, my own mood, etc. Today it may be 3 pm, and tomorrow 6 am. Fortunately, the latter happens not often, now almost never. I'm not so young or so poor to work at night. It's not worth doing.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:15
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Whenever I finish! Jun 13, 2018

I often work evenings and I'm a night owl. But I don't like to work TOO late, I like to relax and veg before retiring.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Eight Jun 14, 2018

If I have ongoing work, then 8 p.m. or 8.30 p.m. I may finish before depending on the workload. I'd rather finish by 9 p.m., then get up early if need to.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:15
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Here's the owl speaking Jun 15, 2018

Working at night is A LOT more productive, with no interruptions and no noise out in the streets. I can't help it. I try to live in regular human hours, but I always fall back into the night. So Before 3 am is what I try to do, but it's not always possible.

Victoria Batarchuk wrote:
I'm not so young or so poor to work at night. It's not worth doing.

What an incredibly equivocated statement!
I'm not so young or so poor anymore to wake up at 7:00 am everyday. I had to do that when I was younger and poorer.
I can wake up at noon if I want. I can start working at 7:00 pm, if I want. This is freedom, and has nothing to do with age or wealth.

[Edited at 2018-06-15 02:45 GMT]

Thiago Assumpção
Thiago Assumpção  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:15
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I totally agree with Martjolein. Jun 18, 2018

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

When accepting jobs, I make sure I will not have to work late in order to meet the deadlines. My evenings are for friends, family, sports and other non-work activities. I don't read my emails outside my working hours (9am-6 pm Amsterdam time) either.

You are right.

I have avoided using fixed working hours during 8 years of work in my translation carrier, but now I see it costs too much of my health and as a consequence my productivity itself. So now I am forced to change and stick to fixed working hours and focus on better productivity, which is way better.

If you take your job seriously, even with very tight deadlines and thousands of words to translate at that moment, you must focus on the long term. My oldest fellows know what I am talking about.

Melatonin and circadian cycles, as well as leisure time and a some time for other appointments outside work must always be well balanced for freelance translators.

You fail that and you end up exhausted or translating less and less than before day after day.

[Bearbeitet am 2018-06-18 23:40 GMT]

Victoria Batarchuk
Victoria Batarchuk  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:15
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
To Mario Jun 19, 2018

Mario Freitas wrote:

Working at night is A LOT more productive, with no interruptions and no noise out in the streets. I can't help it. I try to live in regular human hours, but I always fall back into the night. So Before 3 am is what I try to do, but it's not always possible.

Victoria Batarchuk wrote:
I'm not so young or so poor to work at night. It's not worth doing.

What an incredibly equivocated statement!
I'm not so young or so poor anymore to wake up at 7:00 am everyday. I had to do that when I was younger and poorer.
I can wake up at noon if I want. I can start working at 7:00 pm, if I want. This is freedom, and has nothing to do with age or wealth.

[Edited at 2018-06-15 02:45 GMT]

It may sound strange, but I'm also an owl by nature. However, our everyday life (schools, shops, doctors, etc.) usually requires us to be active in daytime. And if I work through a night, then I feel uncomfortable, and have to sleep for all the following day. It throws me off. That's what I mean. Anyway, no offence intended.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: At what time do you generally finish your business day?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »