Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:25
Member (2016)
English to German
... Jun 7, 2022

James A. Walsh wrote:

I particularly like your "7–9 inline skating" entry! (which I know as "rollerblading")

These fine people agree with you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR_6WjvXoWM
But I'm using a different brand (Seba), so I'm not technically rollerblading.

Having 2 hours of exhaustive fun in the morning enables me to spend the day's remaining work hours at my desk without lamenting that I am wasting my life.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:25
French to English
. Jun 7, 2022

For me a typical day will be:
- up at the crack of dawn to feed the cat then my first cup of coffee in bed while reading the news, change litter sweep floor yoga feed dog feed me and I'm at my computer by 9am mostly.
- dog park 10.30ish
- back at the computer by midday for a quick stretch of work before lunch
- couple more hours work after lunch then shopping/swimming/cycling or maybe even a quick visit to an art exhibition work permitting
- maybe a bit more work
... See more
For me a typical day will be:
- up at the crack of dawn to feed the cat then my first cup of coffee in bed while reading the news, change litter sweep floor yoga feed dog feed me and I'm at my computer by 9am mostly.
- dog park 10.30ish
- back at the computer by midday for a quick stretch of work before lunch
- couple more hours work after lunch then shopping/swimming/cycling or maybe even a quick visit to an art exhibition work permitting
- maybe a bit more work then at 6 or 7pm, a 1-hr brisk walk for the dog or more, work and weather permitting
- if I'm really busy I might just get back to work after walking the dog
- at 8, I switch off my brain for the day and start cooking dinner.

The sheer beauty of being able to fit other things in any time is bliss. My cat is nearly 18 and has needed several visits to the vet recently, the vet will always make an effort to fit me in because I let him choose the time, I can fit everything else round his schedule to be sure of getting an appointment quickly.

[Edited at 2022-06-07 07:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-07 07:14 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
My idea of a day's work Jun 7, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

When I read this question for the first time I didn't realise it was related to hours.
And I keep reading it and it still doesn't make any sense to me. I'm sorry.
Anyway, I fully agree with Novian.

3,000 words.

But I normally work half-days.

Marcel Gomez
Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 22:25
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Very interesting results! Jun 7, 2022

The results show clear cultural differences and/or also how the translation market works.

I am from Peru, most of the job offers I recieve are URGENT, requiring me to work full time (10 or 12 hours or more per day). And it is not because I am particularly slow (my speed is 250w/h).

I seldom receive offers that would allow me to work 5 hours a day. Deadlines are simply tight. I guess it is because I am at the end of the agents line.

And would really like to
... See more
The results show clear cultural differences and/or also how the translation market works.

I am from Peru, most of the job offers I recieve are URGENT, requiring me to work full time (10 or 12 hours or more per day). And it is not because I am particularly slow (my speed is 250w/h).

I seldom receive offers that would allow me to work 5 hours a day. Deadlines are simply tight. I guess it is because I am at the end of the agents line.

And would really like to read more of your comments and write more in detail, but I really don't have time these days!
Collapse

Susanna Martoni

Juan Díaz
Juan Díaz  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 21:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
3-5 hrs Jun 8, 2022

3 to 5 hours is in my opinion ideal, period.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What's your idea of a day's work?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »