Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Have you considered moving due to recent world events and/or economic pressure?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:25
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Politics Jul 4, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

Hum I thought politics were out of bounds on this website, but this poll question is just asking for it!
Tom, there's no point arguing. It might be better for your blood pressure if you join me in imagining someone who complains that the US is not far right enough, ending up in a progressive, social democracy like Sweden, that hasn't been to war since maybe 1735, whose army hasn't even bought a new uniform design since then, where you're not even allowed to gender your own offspring let alone spank them.

Sweden: alas it has decided to abandon its traditional neutrality and peacefulness. Very sad.
Spanking: spanking is violence. It's wrong, especially to children.

Like Michael, thousands (probably millions, today) of people are moving across oceans as refugees from violence, hatred, and repression in their own countries. I'm afraid politics does rear its ugly head when "world events and/or economic pressure" are discussed.

[Edited at 2022-07-04 14:56 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Somebody wasn't thinking it through Jul 4, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:
but this poll question is just asking for it!

Indeed. This thread likely to only get worse, whatever one's political views...

Dan

Kevin Fulton
Tom in London
Barbara Cochran, MFA

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Politics Creeps Into Just About Every Conversation Anymore Jul 4, 2022

At least here in the US, that's the case. Almost without fail, for about the last year or so, the nurses who always interview me to update my info before my doctors come in, as well as in the case of one medical technician who gave me one of the annual screenings I get every year, in some cases, with no prompting at all from me, have started talking politics with me. Because, according to them, they are witnessing, almost first-hand, the gradual erosion and destruction of what was once a fairly ... See more
At least here in the US, that's the case. Almost without fail, for about the last year or so, the nurses who always interview me to update my info before my doctors come in, as well as in the case of one medical technician who gave me one of the annual screenings I get every year, in some cases, with no prompting at all from me, have started talking politics with me. Because, according to them, they are witnessing, almost first-hand, the gradual erosion and destruction of what was once a fairly decent medical system. The guy who showed up yesterday to give me an estimate on some work I want done on the exterior of my home started talking politics before he left, too, because of the economic agenda that has affected obviously affected his business, too. The left feel obviously entitled to express their own opinions, so everybody else, whether independent or right-wing, should be entitled to do the same, and without being bullied. Given the context of the topic posed for this forum (impact of recent world events, economic pressure), it's a certainty that politics would surface in these posts. Politics and political opinion are, and always have been, a fact of life. And they have always had a strong impact, whether good, bad, or even deadly, on the quality of individual lives, and of the greater community, including the world community.

[Edited at 2022-07-04 16:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-04 16:36 GMT]
Collapse

Gerard Barry

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
A time and a place Jul 4, 2022

Barbara Cochran, MFA wrote:
Politics and political opinion are, and always have been, a fact of life.

What you say about politics may be true, but (like religion, to which it has become the modern-day equivalent for many middle-class people, hence their messianic certainty that only their own views are morally acceptable) it is also often deeply divisive. There are many places other than this forum where politics can be discussed...

Dan

Jo Macdonald

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jul 4, 2022

I haven’t considered moving to another country because Wales is a long way from recent world events and because I have been programmed by the world elite to conform. Wales is best known for its sheep, after all.

I have recently moved house within Wales, however. I will miss living next door to Tom Jones, but luckily Bonnie Tyler lives just down the road and I hear she’s holding out for a hero.

expressisverbis
Kay Denney
Matthias Brombach
polishedwords

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
Local time: 00:25
German to English
Germany Jul 4, 2022

I've been living in Germany for several years but have considered leaving it over the past year or so because of its extremely authoritarian response to the Covid "pandemic" and its outrageous mistreatment of those who chose not to get vaccinated against it. But moving abroad isn't easy either and unfortunately there weren't too many countries that didn't react to Covid with draconian measures.

Barbara Cochran, MFA

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:25
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, but... Jul 5, 2022

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you considered moving due to recent world events and/or economic pressure?".

View the poll results »

couldn't find another planet, yet.

[Edited at 2022-07-05 07:15 GMT]

expressisverbis
Jan Truper

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:25
Chinese
A lot of information in these threads Jul 5, 2022

I'm happy to stay in Australia and feel lucky that I made the decision to move here before the world becomes like this. If I were to move again, it would be within Australia and New Zealand.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted post was removed.
Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:25
English to Turkish
Good for you Jul 5, 2022

Guofei_LIN wrote:

I'm happy to stay in Australia and feel lucky that I made the decision to move here before the world becomes like this. If I were to move again, it would be within Australia and New Zealand.

I visited Australia in the mid 90s as a teenager (to learn English). The amount of racism I saw there against Asian people was horrific (remember Pauline Hanson?). I distinctly remember two incidents in public, right in front of my eyes, that made my blood curdle and made me thank God that I didn't have narrow eyes (sorry about that mate, but that's how I felt at the time). Though this was all before 9/11...

Tom in London

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Response To Ice Scream Comment Jul 5, 2022

"I haven’t considered moving to another country because Wales is a long way from recent world events..." (Ice Scream)

Not at all, from what I understand from a friend, a retired translator, who has lived in Wales for many years, and who has written to me, for the most part, once or even twice a week for about 7 years at this point. Sad, and even very upset, to read that my friend and the beautiful country she calls home (I have gone there to visit her) are not the least bit unaff
... See more
"I haven’t considered moving to another country because Wales is a long way from recent world events..." (Ice Scream)

Not at all, from what I understand from a friend, a retired translator, who has lived in Wales for many years, and who has written to me, for the most part, once or even twice a week for about 7 years at this point. Sad, and even very upset, to read that my friend and the beautiful country she calls home (I have gone there to visit her) are not the least bit unaffected by or immune to the deleterious effects of recent world events. A lot of that also has to do, anymore, with massive voter fraud, engineered and paid for by the richest people in the world.

[Edited at 2022-07-05 08:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-07-05 10:31 GMT]
Collapse

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:25
Chinese
Yes Jul 5, 2022

Baran Keki wrote:
I visited Australia in the mid 90s as a teenager (to learn English). The amount of racism I saw there against Asian people was horrific (remember Pauline Hanson?). I distinctly remember two incidents in public, right in front of my eyes, that made my blood curdle and made me thank God that I didn't have narrow eyes (sorry about that mate, but that's how I felt at the time). Though this was all before 9/11...

Yes, there's racism and I have personally experienced some instance of it. But I put it down to the general malaise of human conditions along with many other woes which afflicts us, and white Australians are not the only group that suffers from this malaise. Coming from China, I know my countrymen are also not immune from this malaise when it comes to dealing with people from other countries, from other regions, or other social groups. So if this is the only thing that worries me, I cannot escape from it no matter where I choose to live. But I think Australia does a better job combating racism than my native China (of course, when I'm in China, that racism is usually directed towards foreigners) and working as a translator at home, I'm not exposed to it that much.

Gerard Barry

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you considered moving due to recent world events and/or economic pressure?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »