Poll: What type of work schedule do you prefer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 23

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What type of work schedule do you prefer?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Flexible and varied Apr 23

My schedule is as flexible and varied as possible. I do have a set date for two tasks: I allocate part of the last day of the month for invoicing my clients and part of the first day of the month to pay my bills and gather all the documents to send to my accountant. Everything else is movable and clamps in place when needed…

Aline Amorim
neilmac
Edith van der Have
Philippe Etienne
Christopher Schröder

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Local time: 22:39
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
Surprisingly fixed Apr 24

When I was just starting out as a freelancer, I was pretty excited about the possibility of working completely on my own time and schedule. 15 years later, I have reached a point where I pretty much work "9-to-5" (usually more like 7-to-3), because I want a clean cut and time for myself and my family in the evening. I will still answer the occasional urgent business email (that's why we have smartphones, isn't it?), but once the clock strikes 5 or I have reached my daily turnover goal, I am shut... See more
When I was just starting out as a freelancer, I was pretty excited about the possibility of working completely on my own time and schedule. 15 years later, I have reached a point where I pretty much work "9-to-5" (usually more like 7-to-3), because I want a clean cut and time for myself and my family in the evening. I will still answer the occasional urgent business email (that's why we have smartphones, isn't it?), but once the clock strikes 5 or I have reached my daily turnover goal, I am shutting down my PC. It also helps that most of my customers are in the Central European time zone, with one customer's PMs in Thailand (so I'm getting my emails early) and the odd job coming from the States.

[Edited at 2024-04-24 07:43 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
mariant

patransword
patransword
Germany
German to English
+ ...
. Apr 24

I don't really get a choice - often I find that I either have too much or too little work, which all balances out in the end. My preferred choice: not to work and get paid for learning a new language. Wouldn't that be something?

Liena Vijupe
Liena Vijupe  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:39
Member (2014)
French to Latvian
+ ...
Flexible/varied Apr 24

I do work standard business hours more or less, but on my own terms. What it means is that I do not usually work outside them, unless it's my own fault for not getting the work done sooner.
I still take the liberty to not be at my desk 9-5 or whatever is the equivalent given that almost all my clients are in time zones 1 or 2 hours behind. This morning, like every Wednesday, I had a bodyart training and I would never miss it unless there is a real emergency or I am unable to get out of bed
... See more
I do work standard business hours more or less, but on my own terms. What it means is that I do not usually work outside them, unless it's my own fault for not getting the work done sooner.
I still take the liberty to not be at my desk 9-5 or whatever is the equivalent given that almost all my clients are in time zones 1 or 2 hours behind. This morning, like every Wednesday, I had a bodyart training and I would never miss it unless there is a real emergency or I am unable to get out of bed. On other days I have other "commitments" and my weekly schedule does not vary very much, I just plan my work around other things and not the other way.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Christopher Schröder
Daniel Sebin

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Booked Apr 24

I prefer when my work schedule is booked.
I am usually at my desk from 9-10am until 6-8pm with a healthy break in between. If I was up and working at 5:30 this morning, it's only because I've managed my time like an ass lately.

Philippe

Liena Vijupe
Kimberly Wastler

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Apr 26

If I have a full-time workload, I prefer to get up early and get going by 8 at the latest. Mid-morning I'll grab some fresh air in the dog park, and I try to keep away from the computer during my lunch break too. Another quick digestive walk after lunch and I'll be back at my desk, then non-stop working until about 6pm when the dog will want another frolic outdoors.
I like to go swimming at least once during the week (and again at the weekend), and I'll also take time off to go shopping d
... See more
If I have a full-time workload, I prefer to get up early and get going by 8 at the latest. Mid-morning I'll grab some fresh air in the dog park, and I try to keep away from the computer during my lunch break too. Another quick digestive walk after lunch and I'll be back at my desk, then non-stop working until about 6pm when the dog will want another frolic outdoors.
I like to go swimming at least once during the week (and again at the weekend), and I'll also take time off to go shopping during the week rather than at the weekends when the shops are too busy. I might even take off to a museum if there's a good exhibition on, when things are slow or when I know I can make the time up at the weekend.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What type of work schedule do you prefer?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »